APA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnubrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning a APA recipe with first time hopstand technique.

All Grain Recipe

Batch Size: 5.25 gal Style: American Pale Ale (10A)
Boil Size: 6.96 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 5.0 SRM Equipment: 10 gallon cooler 11 gallon ss pot
Bitterness: 67.6 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.054 (13.2° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Est FG: 1.012 SG (3.0° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 5.5% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
1.00 oz Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Grain 4
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 7
0.5 oz Magnum [14.0%] - First Wort Hops 8
0.3 oz Apollo [17.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 9
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 10
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 11
0.2 oz Apollo [17.0%] - Steep 15 min Hops 12
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Steep 15 min Hops 13
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Steep 30 min Hops 14
0.2 oz Apollo [17.0%] - Steep 30 min Hops 15
1 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 16

Mash @152 for 60min, boil for 90min, hopstand for total 30minutes with two different temp 180f for 1st 15 then last 15min at 150f. I might change base malt to a 8.5lb pale malt. I'm still debating which base malt to use. I'm looking for a slight bready/biscuit malt flavor. I'm not sure on ibu's calculation from beer smith. I appreciate any suggestions or feedback. Thanks.

Looks good to me but I would be careful with that much honey malt. A little goes a long way with that one as it is not a subtle flavor. If you are looking for a more biscuity flavor, may be try maris otter as your base malt instead of the pils and 2 row. You should like the appollo and centennial combo but I would dry hop this recipe as well.

is that a typo on the gypsum? i think 1 ounce is way too much. my water is moderately soft and i generally use 5-10 grams in a 5 gallon batch.

Looks good to me but I would be careful with that much honey malt. A little goes a long way with that one as it is not a subtle flavor. If you are looking for a more biscuity flavor, may be try maris otter as your base malt instead of the pils and 2 row. You should like the appollo and centennial combo but I would dry hop this recipe as well.

I never used honey malt before so I will drop to 4oz? I'll consider dry hopping too maybe 1 oz centennial and 0.5 oz Apollo. I was looking at maris otter as one of the base malt along with golden promise, and Canada pale ale malt. Too many options/ingredients that why I love homebrewing. Everyone can make their own unique recipe. :mug: Thanks for your advice.

you might look at dropping all the specialties and doing a maris otter base

is that a typo on the gypsum? i think 1 ounce is way too much. my water is moderately soft and i generally use 5-10 grams in a 5 gallon batch.

Yes it is a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. I meant to say 1 tablespoon but I haven't done my water profile yet so I will make adjustment. I'm still learning about water chemistry.

Yes it is a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. I meant to say 1 tablespoon but I haven't done my water profile yet so I will make adjustment. I'm still learning about water chemistry.

If you don't know your water chemistry, ditch the gypsum (all of it) and the 5.2 stabilizer (salt). Those won't give the beer good flavor, and you don't know if you need the gypsum. It's better to leave them both out (especially the stabilizer which doesn't do anything anyway, and gives the beer a weird flavor) than to use them if you don't absolutely need the gypsum.

I've never used Apollo hops, so I'm eager to hear how it comes out.

Back