APA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMMODOG

Reaction score
Trying to understand hops better. Looking for an APA with less bitterness and not over the top hoppy. Brewed this grain recipe before with different hops and want to change it up a bit.

8 lbs pale malt, 2 row
2 lbs Vienna
12 oz Maris Otter
8 oz Carmel Malt, 40L

Going with Pacman (Wyeast 1764)

1 oz fuggles at 45 min
.75 oz Amarillo at 30 min
.75 oz Amarillo at 15 min
1 oz Amarillo at 5 min

Any opinions on the bitterness, aroma and overall flavor? Thanks

Well, I love amarillo but I definitely perceive it as "hoppy". If you don't want over-the-top hoppiness, you may want to reconsider the hopping.

With fuggles for bittering at 45 minutes, it's odd to see more bittering hops (amarillo) at 30 minutes. I'd just bitter at 60 minutes, and leave out the 30 minute bittering addition.

I'd also consider using less amarillo in the late additions as it does tend to come through pretty strongly. Have you considered a more neutral hop for the flavor addition? Amarillo is awesome to me, but you may like a less citrusy hop for the flavor addition if you're afraid of having too much hops flavor.

If you're interested in the hops' contributions to the beer, you might consider simplifying your grain bill. It will put them front and center. Just a thought. Also, I'm not totally sold on 30min additions. You lose the bittering potential of a 60min and the flavor/aroma potential of late additions. YMMV though. Either way, have fun - Amarillo is super tasty. It's a great dry hop so keep that in mind too. Cheers.

Thanks. I have 4 oz of Amarillo and read/heard good things about it. I usually go real conservative on hops, back off what a recipe calls for. Getting more of a liking for pale ales though. Just do not want to go to far the other way. Read a lot about people going to 30 min boil and thought I would split the difference, so will adjust back to normal I will also back off the late addition. Never dried hoped yet and will try without first, little steps to get the taste each time. What's is a good I b u target to shoot for. I was around 53 I think. Maybe high 40s? Thanks.

Thanks. I have 4 oz of Amarillo and read/heard good things about it. I usually go real conservative on hops, back off what a recipe calls for. Getting more of a liking for pale ales though. Just do not want to go to far the other way. Read a lot about people going to 30 min boil and thought I would split the difference, so will adjust back to normal I will also back off the late addition. Never dried hoped yet and will try without first, little steps to get the taste each time. What's is a good I b u target to shoot for. I was around 53 I think. Maybe high 40s? Thanks.

Oh, I love amarillo! I just was thinking that it may not meet your goals of not too hoppy flavored. I would like the recipe you have, with the hops at 60/15/0.

As far as IBUs, if your OG is going to be 1.050, 35 IBUs would be really good. You want enough bitterness to balance the sweet malt without going too high. What is your projected OG?

Trying to understand hops better. Looking for an APA with less bitterness and not over the top hoppy. Brewed this grain recipe before with different hops and want to change it up a bit.

8 lbs pale malt, 2 row
2 lbs Vienna
12 oz Maris Otter
8 oz Carmel Malt, 40L

Going with Pacman (Wyeast 1764)

1 oz fuggles at 45 min
.75 oz Amarillo at 30 min
.75 oz Amarillo at 15 min
1 oz Amarillo at 5 min

Any opinions on the bitterness, aroma and overall flavor? Thanks

I think moving the hops like this would help if you don't want harsh bitterness, but great flavor and aroma:

1 oz fuggles at 45 min
.5 oz Amarillo at 20 min
.5 oz Amarillo at 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo at 10 min
.5 oz Amarillo at 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo at 0 min

What other hops do you have? I'm not sure on Fuggles for bittering, and IF you had another American hop, it would be nice to mix that in the Amarillo.

Planning on dry hopping?

I just made an APA with all Amarillo hops, I have to agree Yooper, I added 3 oz of Amarillo, one of which was at 60 mins, even at 31 IBU Amarillo comes through a bit Bitter, if I make this brew again, I'll either adjust the amount I use for bittering or substitute some Amarillo as rpe290 recommended.

Back