Aoother weekend, unplanned batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkncode

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on doing a batch of beer this Saturday but here I am,
HLT heating up and Drill batter charging for the grain crushing.
Just in the mood to brew.

Kind of cool day, 12C/ 53F,
Showers but not bad conditions on my decking to brew with my eHERMS setup.

Brewing a Nelson Sauvin SMaSH again but this time with the late hops increased as I went a bit light last time as it was my first time using them
Hopefully I can figure out my hit pre-boil gravity but missed OG (4 points too low) that I got with my slightly smaller than usual batch size, 19L, one corny keg. Taking a few more measurements this time for the same batch size. I use to do 23L.

I was going to work on the control panel for my CNC mill project and that is still happening in between tending to the brew so just happening slower.

Last weekends brew a Motueka hopped pale ale is about to get its dry hops. I'm interested in how that turns out as its my first time adding toffee malt.

Sounds good. I've done a black IPA with Motueka a couple times and have definitely been interested in doing some more brews that feature some of the New Zealand hops. Post how they turned out and I'd be interested in the recipe also.

Saturday is still 1 hour 48 minutes away here. I might brew?? Next up is my 100th batch. A smoked beer with ginger is what I plan.

Post how they turned out and I'd be interested in the recipe also.
Will do,
I will put my Nelson Sauvin recipe up once I know it is OK as its just from me playing around with beersmith until I taste it LOL, Its into the boil now. If my Motueka with toffee malt comes comes up ok I will put that up too.

I haven't tried Motueka in anything other than a SMaSH yet but that came out good so I will have to try it in some thing more complex some time. I do have a my Motueka SMash with some toffee malt added in the fermenter now.
A Motueka SMaSH was my first recipe and first all grain brew although I have brewed it a few times since.

Last edited:
Saturday is still 1 hour 48 minutes away here. I might brew?? Next up is my 100th batch. A smoked beer with ginger is what I plan.
Sounds an interesting brew, I haven't brewed anything with ginger in yet and have only brewed one beer with a smoke malt which came out good,

I worked in Bamberg, Germany for 5 years. I drank a ton of Rauchbier at the Schlenklera and surrounding areas.

I cringed when you adding mentioned ginger. I like ginger, but I can't picture it for a Rauchbier. All I can say is good luck.

I worked in Bamberg, Germany for 5 years. I drank a ton of Rauchbier at the Schlenklera and surrounding areas.

I cringed when you adding mentioned ginger. I like ginger, but I can't picture it for a Rauchbier. All I can say is good luck.

I don't know, I found the recipe online and it was supposedly well received by the friends of the brewer. I am using a mesquite smoked malt that is relatively mild. I guess I will find out. Smoky ginger sounds interesting to me.

I don't know, I found the recipe online and it was supposedly well received by the friends of the brewer. I am using a mesquite smoked malt that is relatively mild. I guess I will find out. Smoky ginger sounds interesting to me.

OK, if it's a tried and true recipe then I say go for it. Make sure to let us know how it turns out.

FWIW, Rauchbier is made with beechwood.

Back