Anything salvageable from old kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornfed

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I found two old approximately 2 year old Northern Brewer 1 gallon extract + specialty grain kits. They were kept at room temp for most of their lives.

From what I am reading, the specialty grains, hops, malt extracts, and dry yeasts (expiration dates of December, 2015) are probably no good.

I also have some brewvint sanitizer from Austin Homebrewer, some LD Carlson no rinse cleaner, and some fermenter's favorite fizz drops (to carbonate individual bottles) that are about the same age.

Is any of this usable? I am thinking the ingredients are probably no good, but what about the cleaners and fizz drops?

Lastly, does anyone think it's worth brewing these old kits? Or is that a waste of time and they will likely suck?

Yep, this exactly. I recently used some crusty old long-forgotten DME for starter wort and it worked just fine.

I would go ahead and use the ingredients if they still smell & taste fine. For a 1 gallon batch I think it is worth it to brew with them. Even the yeast is probably fine.

The cleaner and fizz drops are still good. I would just throw out the fizz drops because making a sugar solution is probably easier & more reliable.

Latest posts

Back