Anything else I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjosborne

Reaction score
I'm just about to go 15g biab, just waiting for Spikes 30g kettle to be available. I'm wanting a whirlpool port on the kettle, any suggestions there, or will one of Spike's 45 degree elbows work? Other than that I'm thinking of getting an Exchillerator Maxx, chugger pump, Blichmann hellfire, and a Wilser bag. I'm thinking maybe a deer tripod to hoist the bag, unless someone has a better idea. Any tips or suggestions to make my brew day easier, or am I missing something important that I need?

I designed my spike 20 gallon with the whirlpool fitting at 9 o'clock below the basket. I think it's at 1.5". I use one of their 90 fittings and it whirlpools awesome. Exchillerator is a great product. Look into the 24v topsflo stainless pump. Bobby from brewhardware did a compare on YouTube. Biggest advantage is the noise. It is extremely quiet. When my system is recirculating you can barely hear it. If you have access to a 30 amp 220 breaker I would consider electric. So fast, so cheap to run, and quiet. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1502044857.582089.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1502044916.321759.jpg

I may go electric after I move in a few years. Can you seal off a tri clamp without the gasket melting while on a burner? I'll be using a burner for at least two years.

How cold is your tap water?
Will the exchillerator bring you to pitching temps during the warm months?

Idk why, but I'm a fan of a big ass IC, and perhaps a cheap pump and ice water during warm tap water times.

How cold is your tap water?
Will the exchillerator bring you to pitching temps during the warm months?

Idk why, but I'm a fan of a big ass IC, and perhaps a cheap pump and ice water during warm tap water times.

I don't know to be honest. I do know that the Grainfather counter flow that I'm using now is 5-10 degrees warmer than pitching temp. I'm hoping this one is better, it seems to get good reviews. For what you do, do you need two IC? One in the wort, and one on the ice water?

@Nmmbrewer
Are all your fittings tri clamp? I looked a few times, but am not seeing anything. Would you please post links if it's not too much trouble?

Latest posts

Back