Anyone using S. Korean bucket heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, how would you plan to use this with eBIAB? You mention a controller. Typically you only need one for BIAB if you plan on doing something like recirculation during the mash. I fail to see how this device could be used for that. Maybe you could use it in something like a HERMS set up?

Am getting one of those for Christmas myself just to make the damn wort get to a boil faster since my crappy electric stove takes FOREVER to get to a boil.

My assumption is that this heater would sit below a steam basket with a BIAB bag in it. A cheap controller would then keep a constant temp for mashing. After pulling the bag, turning up this heater MAY be enough for a boil.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with this heater and if it can meet these needs.

Are you certain that the attached controller can be submerged?

I imagine he is talking about adding a better controller than the simple knob one on the element. That simple knob part doesn't get immersed tho. You would plug that into a controller which would have a temp probe in the pot.

I have no experience with this, but it looks like a more legitimate version of one I've made from a water heater element and JB weld

What I don't understand is how to fit it under a steamer basket if the attached controller is not immersible.

It appears that the unit is meant to hang on the side of the pot (note indent on underside of controller). The element is 18" long so it should sit at the bottom of many 10 gallon kettles. You then put the basket in over the top since the element is along the side and then under the basket.

I assume....

You then put the basket in over the top since the element is along the side and then under the basket.

I assume....

The steamer basket is not gonna fit in the kettle if you put this thing in there. I should clarify, it wouldn't fit in a bayou classic with a steamer basket. The vertical run of element would get in the way.

At 3000 watts it should work well on 5 gallon batches.

I'm not sure if the dial control is on a thermostat, or just variable power.

I would use it in a manual fashion, heat strike to temp, remove heat stick and mash in. Insulate kettle for rest, remove bag and boil with heat stick.

The heat stick could also be utilized to stir the mash if add. Heat is required.

Not sure how you would use this if you wanted to automate the heat? Fwiw I have an electric turkey fryer with a similar submerged element that fits adjacent and under the basket.

Back