Anyone used a bucket heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head7l

Reaction score
I saw this one on Amazon and was wondering if anyone had used this to heat up water for mashing or sparging?

Isn't this basically a manufactured heat stick that I have seen all around the DIY sections? And if you have used them, have you compared the cost to that of a DIY heat stick?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this one on Amazon and was wondering if anyone had used this to heat up water for mashing or sparging?

Isn't this basically a manufactured heat stick that I have seen all around the DIY sections? And if you have used them, have you compared the cost to that of a DIY heat stick?

That's definitely a heat stick. It's not really powerful enough for anything other than maintaining mash temps though, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that bucket heater (ordered from Amazon in mid January '12) and I absolutely love it. I mostly brew from my garage now and don't have 240V there, only 120V/15A. I first used this device during the winter and was able to get a rolling boil on an electric stove by dropping this in the wort and turing the stove burner to high. I use it to heat my water and it is most helpful when used in a kettle that's on a burner - the time to reach a boil is greatly reduced.

Regardless of what others might say, I have used this device by itself to actually boil wort. The problem with that is that the device has a safety switch that will turn off the element when it has been at boiling temp for a few seconds. What happens is that you'll reach a rolling boil for about 10 seconds, then the device will turn itself off for about 5-8 seconds. The batch that I boiled with it isn't ready yet, but I haven't detected any problems (YET, yes, I know about DMS, we'll have to wait and see). For that batch, I just placed the kettle on the propane burner and dropped it in and waited. It certainly isn't quick to boil by itself, but it allowed me to walk away rather than babysit the burner.

Hope that helps,
Isaac

They make them such that you could *maybe* heat strike water...but that'd be about it.

Also though, as mentioned, helpful in aiding a boil in conjunction with a stove-top.

I think they are like 1000 watts. Not enough power if you are going to stand there and watch it. But it will likely easily heat 10+ gallons of strike or sparge water if you have a little time, and plan ahead. People aslo put these on a timer so the brewing water is heated when the brew session begins. Given enough time in an insulated vessel, even a measly 1000w could have strike and sparge water ready.

I have that bucket heater (ordered from Amazon in mid January '12) and I absolutely love it. I mostly brew from my garage now and don't have 240V there, only 120V/15A. I first used this device during the winter and was able to get a rolling boil on an electric stove by dropping this in the wort and turing the stove burner to high. I use it to heat my water and it is most helpful when used in a kettle that's on a burner - the time to reach a boil is greatly reduced.

Regardless of what others might say, I have used this device by itself to actually boil wort. The problem with that is that the device has a safety switch that will turn off the element when it has been at boiling temp for a few seconds. What happens is that you'll reach a rolling boil for about 10 seconds, then the device will turn itself off for about 5-8 seconds. The batch that I boiled with it isn't ready yet, but I haven't detected any problems (YET, yes, I know about DMS, we'll have to wait and see). For that batch, I just placed the kettle on the propane burner and dropped it in and waited. It certainly isn't quick to boil by itself, but it allowed me to walk away rather than babysit the burner.

Hope that helps,
Isaac

This is basically my story. Worked great when I was in on the stove top, it helped a ton. Now that I am all grain BIAB/fryer, it can help with heating sparge water. I have also used it as a hybrid system, helping the propane along. Helps save on the propane. Mine looks identical to that one, though it does not seem to have the shut off (??).

You can easily make your own heatstick with probably less money but more wattage. Here's mine. I still use it for heating mash temps. Can take 5 gallons to a slight boil in about 30 min from 70F.
P1120650.JPG

This is basically my story. Worked great when I was in on the stove top, it helped a ton. Now that I am all grain BIAB/fryer, it can help with heating sparge water. I have also used it as a hybrid system, helping the propane along. Helps save on the propane. Mine looks identical to that one, though it does not seem to have the shut off (??).

Do you have a second rail that is soldered to one side of the element? On mine, there is a rail that protrudes from the plastic black box where the wiring terminates and mates with the element. From there, a stainless steel well sticks down all the way to the top of the cage. I'm pretty sure that there's a thermocouple in there on mine. I have thought about cutting the thing apart to pull it out, but I haven't decided whether I'll actually do that. I'd love it more if it would maintain a boil.

My 2 cents:

I use that bucket heater and have found that it will really help you get the job done. However, It just cant do the job by itself. Rather, when combined with a normal electric stovetop, It worker perfectly.
Well maybe not PERFECTLY

that's saying it a bit strong. However, it certanly does work

What people have said is right: The element is limited by its wattage and cannot heat water in excess of 200 degrees, However, it does do one thing very well. get all the water up to those temeprtures, and recirculate them through the water

this is very useful when combined with a stove-top on full blast, ans it allows its greater heat to circulate through the pot at a much faster rate than usual, and helps speed up the boiling off process.

It usually takes about 15-20 minutes to get my spraged out wort up to rolling boil with the two working together, and my god, that was a lot better than the hour+ I had to wait back before I had the thing

not to mention its perfect for strike/sparge water

In short:
pros:
- It does work when combined with a stove top, and would probably work VERY well if you had a gas range
- IT is still fairly cheap
- It is very, very safe (so long as you follow the instructions)
- t requires no technical skill
- it has a nice long term warantee
- You get to brew in the comfort of your own home (I consider that a good thing)

Cons:
- With just a stovetop, it still operates slightly-below the par of a entry-level propane range
- Its not proper for getting to a boil by itself
- it is a bit more expensive that other element options, and gives off far less heat than they do
- Not suitable for batches larger than 5 gallons

Overall: its a good starting off point for those making 5 gallon batches who do not want to take the risk of building an element from scratch and want the security that it offers, and also is a suitable option for AG brewing against propane, and I personally heavily value it as an important tool for my brewing needs, and has easily saved my MANY hours in the brew day.

Latest posts

Back