Anyone use silicone tubing with an autosiphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. I have the large size autosiphon and use it with 1/2 inch silicone tubing - works great!

EDIT - I think it's 3/8 inch silicone tubing I use, not 1/2

Oh so you use 3/8 tubing with the 1/2 inch siphon? I was thinking of either trying that or using a hose clamp.

There is no pressure, so determine the proper inside diameter of the tubing for the siphon and use that. Forget the clamp it would probably, eventually, crush the siphon tube .

I used a thin wall thermoplastic one on my autosiphon. It needed a zip tie to create a siphon. I ended up trashing it...the tubing bent too much and kinked.

There is no pressure, so determine the proper inside diameter of the tubing for the siphon and use that. Forget the clamp it would probably, eventually, crush the siphon tube .

The clamp is just to ensure that no bubbles get in since I use autosiphons for bottling. I currently use two with the vinyl tubing and it works, one was letting bubbles in. I guess I won't be able to tell if there's bubbles through silicone tubing though.

Oh so you use 3/8 tubing with the 1/2 inch siphon? I was thinking of either trying that or using a hose clamp.

I checked my equipment, and it is 3/8 ID tubing. I spray the autosiphon with StarSan and the tubing is wet from boiling, so the tubing stretches over the autosiphon and slides on easily - no clamp needed - it makes a good airtight seal.

I checked my equipment, and it is 3/8 ID tubing. I spray the autosiphon with StarSan and the tubing is wet from boiling, so the tubing stretches over the autosiphon and slides on easily - no clamp needed - it makes a good airtight seal.

Awesome, thanks for checking :mug:

I'll be switching to silicone in the near future :ban:

Back