Anyone use heading compound (propylene glycol aiginate)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyth

Reaction score
Was poking about in a dark corner in the back of my LHBS this afternoon, and came upon a packet labeled heading compound, claims that 1g per gallon of beer will help boost head retention of the brew. Figured hey, why not pick it up and give it a shot in my next batch.

So has anyone ever used this stuff? Does it work? Any off flavors that come from it?

I'm not going to be much help but I also have some of this stuff and would be curious to hear an opinion from someone whose tried it.

bump, still would love to hear from someone with experience using this stuff.

You can make beer with perfectly gorgeous heads using the right (reinheitsgebot-compatible) ingredients and good techniques. Who needs additives?

Chemically, that molecule is an ester, which means it will almost certainly have an odor.

Would like to hear also. I have some muntons kreamy x I've been wanting to try

You can make beer with perfectly gorgeous heads using the right (reinheitsgebot-compatible) ingredients and good techniques. Who needs additives?

Chemically, that molecule is an ester, which means it will almost certainly have an odor.

Eh, I'll use chemicals and additives to improve beer any time I can tbh. What Germans thought of beer making in the 1500s concerns me less then making the best beer I can today. Not to mention reinheitsgebot technically doesn't allow the use of yeast, rendering it more or less moot to any modern brewer.

That said, if the molecule creates ester flavors, then yeah kinda of questionable, might set aside a 1g bit of my next batch and try it in that, see how it comes out.

It is a very common food additive, I am familiar with it but have never used in beer. It would make good sense that it would add foam stability. I highly doubt it would add any taste at all. There should be ton of information on the internet about it. Most folks eat/drink it on a regular basis.
It is also "alginate" not "aiginate".

Back