Anyone try the BB "Hop Nog" yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weasel1

Reaction score
This weekend I am going to bottle my IPA, and brew up a batch of BB Hop Nog. Curious if anyone has tried it and what results they got.

I'm bottling mine tonight after a month in primary and 10 days of dry hopping. There's another thread on here somewhere with lots of people who have brewed it, people seem to dig it.

I used .5 oz of the experimental at 15 and another at 5, then dry hopped with the last oz. Smells/taste great when I sample.

I'm bottling mine tonight after a month in primary and 10 days of dry hopping. There's another thread on here somewhere with lots of people who have brewed it, people seem to dig it.

I used .5 oz of the experimental at 15 and another at 5, then dry hopped with the last oz. Smells/taste great when I sample.

That's good to hear. New to brewing, and I bought two BB Hop Nog kits. I love a real hoppy brew and this sounded like it would be right up my alley. I will have to practice being patient with this brew, sounds like it will be awhile before I can enjoy a pint! Thanks.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Some kit that includes an experimental hop, HBC something...I think you're meant to use some included hops for bittering and then experiment with the rest of the hop schedule. I think that's the gist of the Hopnog..

Some kit that includes an experimental hop, HBC something...I think you're meant to use some included hops for bittering and then experiment with the rest of the hop schedule. I think that's the gist of the Hopnog..

Thanks for the info... probably would be wise to put this in the OP.

Any reason it has kind of a gross sounding name? It makes me think of eggnog beer.

I've already brewed and kicked a 5 gallon keg of Hopnog. It was good to drink after 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks carbing in the keg.

I wish I could get more of those hops! Very fruity hop character, almost a watermelon note to them.

Yeah, I made it a couple of years ago (it's not a new recipe). I would not doubt that they mix it up based on what hops are available, but I was happy with mine, especially since, as I recall, I was able to get it during the Great Hops Shortage. It had some unusual hops; I would have to dig up the recipe to say exactly which.

I was thinking the same thing. I usually live by the saying "two good things will be good together..." but beer and eggnog just sounds gross.

Absolutely they gave this a crappy name! Here's hoping the taste is far better than the name is.

I was thinking the same thing. I usually live by the saying "two good things will be good together..." but beer and eggnog just sounds gross.

I thought the same thing too. The only other time I've heard of anything remotely similar, it was nog bombs. Beer and eggnog. Milwaukee's Best Light and egg nog, to be specific. Very bad association in my head.

I seen those at my lhbs and had no idea. I thought it was some kind of infused egg nog beer.Stupid name so its just a hoppy ipa? then? Nog should not even be in the name,thats weird. And pretty retarded.Really. There should at least be some significance.

I just cracked into my keg tonight after one week in the primary, 5 days dry hopping and two days of cold crashing. It's been force carbing for several days. It's delicious!! I've never brewed a beer before that is this good this young. Two weeks from kit to glass and it's fabulous! If you like IPA's, I highly recommend it.

I brewed it on 12/3 and transferred to secondary last weekend.
Sampling to the secondary is very promising.

I'll test the FG next week -- if everything looks good, I'll cold crash and keg New Year's weekend.

I'm not a huge fan of IPAs, but I thought the free growler was pretty cool -- so I said -- what the heck. Plus -- I have friends who love IPAs.

Finally had some over the holiday. Solid beer, a nice bitterness and the experimental hops have a good citrusy flavor. Great nose, too, glad I dry hopped.

Back