Anyone notice changes at AHS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
NOT A BASH - JUST AN OBSERVATION

I really like AHS and they are my go-to guys for beer kits, so no one jump me for ragging on them - I am not. Looking to do a Scotch Ale next and get on their website for an AG kit. "Usually", their AG versions subtract about $9 from the normal extract version of that kit. Their Scottish Export / 80 Shilling Ale ADDS $.50. Thinking this must be a typo, I also check out the Oatmeal Stout as that was my second choice - it only subtracted $1.50. Checked a few more for grains and quite a few that I normally get are less of a discount for AG as well.

Is there something going on in the world that is causing all grain kits to cost more than Extract?

Huh- I dunno. Checked the IIPA and it's business as usual, AG costs less. But yep, the Scottish is a little more. Maybe it just takes too much grain to make. Kyle

Huh- I dunno. Checked the IIPA and it's business as usual, AG costs less. But yep, the Scottish is a little more. Maybe it just takes too much grain to make. Kyle

If it took too much grain, it would take too much extract. They would be comparable. Unfortunately, AHS doesn't give recipes so you can't see the ingredients to see what may be causing the differences.

Look at the ingrediants and purchase the grains and hops. Make a few personal tweaks - for taste or economics. You will love the freedom.

Look at the ingrediants and purchase the grains and hops. Make a few personal tweaks - for taste or economics. You will love the freedom.

They don't post the ingredients. May look a recipe up in my book at home though and price it out that way. Not a big deal, just found it odd AG would be more expensive than extract.

Do the grains in those kits have lower possible extraction? If so, more grain does not mean more extract.

The grains for those kits are probably premium imports like Maris Otter or Golden Promise which cost 50 cents and 95 cents more per pound than what's probably in their more American kits.

This has been discussed endlessly...but..., If you are doing all grain and you have a few kits under your belt then for goodness sake take the next step and do yor own grain and hops bill. It is very easy and is a lot of fun. Buy what you like but not anything more. I personally like to beef up the grain and hops list so could never be happy with a kit.

Back