Anyone near me with a plasma cutter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobotion

Reaction score
Hi anyone near me with a plasma cutter near me ?? I want to cut the top of my keg. I would me better then trying to use my mini saw. I'm in the Bronx Thanks

Hi

The thick cutting wheels on a Dremel tool will do the job if you can't find a welder. It's a slow, noisy, dirty job, so yes try to do it another way (also have a lot of band aids on hand if you try the Dremel).

Bob

Hi

The thick cutting wheels on a Dremel tool will do the job if you can't find a welder. It's a slow, noisy, dirty job, so yes try to do it another way (also have a lot of band aids on hand if you try the Dremel).

Bob
off

Yeah I'm trying to find someone who wont rip me off.I have a dremel and a mini tile cutter. But do you think the dremel would be good?

I used it on my last keg. Slow, loud, dirty. Ultimately did a great job. If you have the time, and some earplugs, do it.

Guess i will give it a shot.
How much do you think a welder would charge?

Just to add what I just did, I got a $15 4 1/2" grinder from Harbor Freight, the $10 hearing protection headset, $3 pack of metal cutting wheels. I think scribed a line with a marker, and went at it with the grinder. Literally ten minutes later I had a nice looking hole. I splurged for a $4 grinder wheel, and ground the cut for 10 mins. For some reason people on this thread has made this ALOT harder then it actually is. Plasma seems like overkill, as well as putting slag everywhere.

Just to add what I just did, I got a $15 4 1/2" grinder from Harbor Freight, the $10 hearing protection headset, $3 pack of metal cutting wheels. I think scribed a line with a marker, and went at it with the grinder. Literally ten minutes later I had a nice looking hole. I splurged for a $4 grinder wheel, and ground the cut for 10 mins.For some reason people on this thread has made this ALOT harder then it actually is. Plasma seems like overkill, as well as putting slag everywhere.

Talk about making it harder than it needs to be.

Plasma cutter is quick and simple, I had no stuck slag in mine when done, just dust and loose berrys. Know anybody in skilled trades? I know folks that have gone in the back door of the school vocational program and had one cut. You could also try body shops, any metal working places, chop shops, Scrap yards, If you take some homebrew you can probably get it cut for free, Mine was less than 15 mine work, and that included getting our the plasma cutter, setup and time to cut, actual cut time was less than 3 min.

Plasma cutter is quick and simple, I had no stuck slag in mine when done, just dust and loose berrys. Know anybody in skilled trades? I know folks that have gone in the back door of the school vocational program and had one cut. You could also try body shops, any metal working places, chop shops, Scrap yards, If you take some homebrew you can probably get it cut for free, Mine was less than 15 mine work, and that included getting our the plasma cutter, setup and time to cut, actual cut time was less than 3 min.

I'm going to check a few shops before finishing

Just saying that I went into my basement, and came up 20 mins later with a nice round hole in the top of my keg. I didn't even leave the AC of my house. If my brother in law owned a plasma cutter, of course, have him come by. Calling up welders/metal workers in the bronx is not something that puts a smile on your face. I didn't use a grinder for about 2 months since I heard it was so hard, and took forever from HBT, that was making it harder than it needs to be. Good luck.

Just did it started with my rotary but I have a rotozip saw so I used that and it cut it with no problem just need to grind the edges.:D

Latest posts

Back