Anyone have any pictures of the Blichmann "Tower of Power"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some pics of the valve

2012-05-07_18-10-29_394.jpg

2012-05-07_18-10-37_289.jpg

2012-05-07_18-11-09_327.jpg

Those are the ASCO 8261 series. SC or SU means they're UL listed.

The "SC" at the beginning of the part number is just the "DIN" connection coil designation that ASCO uses. FWIW, the 8261S series solenoids shown are not rated for gas service, the 8262H models are CSA and FM rated for gas service and have been tested for that use.

And here I was all excited that I just found the video..but it’s already been posted.

Let’s hope this comes out soon. It would a great addition to my Top Tier...

Edit: So I just got off the phone with my local homebrew store. They got one in yesterday for demo and testing! They also read off the price listing. Looks like it cost $575 for the control module. Now what I don’t know if that includes the two modules. Meaning, one if for the HLT and the other is the Mash. Let’s hope it’s for both. And the Power Stand is $550 without a pump and $650 with a pump. So about $1,100 out the door...yikes. Also the communication cable cost about $60. I’m guessing that’s for replacement parts. I’d hate for someone to have to pay for all that, then pay another $120 for two communication cables to connect to your HLT and Mash.

That’s all the news I have about it....I have to say, I’m excited. But I payed about $1,500 for Top Tier (with kettles and mash) Now add another $1,500 for this....I’m sure for that price of almost $3,000 I could have gotten something way cooler that will do the same thing?

And here I was all excited that I just found the video..but it’s already been posted.

Edit: So I just got off the phone with my local homebrew store. They got one in yesterday for demo and testing! They also read off the price listing. Looks like it cost $575 for the control module. Now what I don’t know if that includes the two modules. Meaning, one if for the HLT and the other is the Mash. Let’s hope it’s for both. And the Power Stand is $550 without a pump and $650 with a pump. So about $1,100 out the door...yikes. Also the communication cable cost about $60. I’m guessing that’s for replacement parts. I’d hate for someone to have to pay for all that, then pay another $120 for two communication cables to connect to your HLT and Mash.

That’s all the news I have about it....I have to say, I’m excited. But I payed about $1,500 for Top Tier (with kettles and mash) Now add another $1,500 for this....I’m sure for that price of almost $3,000 I could have gotten something way cooler that will do the same thing?

That is the per module price unfortunately, but I saw it in action at my local store and it is awesome.

Lol, did you expect it to be cheap? It's about right where I expected.

Lots of people will scoff at that price, all they will see is a $40 pid and $60 gas valve with a $575 price tag. Truth is some of that is R&D and a company that puts out products that fit into part of a system.

As far as ending up spending $3k, it's true, if you had all that cash up front you would probably have some pretty decent options. For me I started with two burners, and later added the top tier, and eventually will add at least one of these controllers. I suppose that is part of the advantage of a modular system, it can and will grow with you if you want it to, and you can spread out the cost over time.

Yup. I'll be building this system for 20% the cost of buying this and mine will do a whole lot more...

Count in the man hours, and the 575 is a good price tag. I make 35/hr thats 16 hours of labor for 575, the amount of labor that went into the design of these modules and stand is a lot greater then 16 hours. I highly doubt you can make something more aesthetically pleasing and reliable then Blichmann can for that price tag.

Count in the man hours
You mean fun time...

the 575 is a good price tag
Nope. Not when I can build something WAY cheaper that has better automation automatically doing step mashes.

I make 35/hr thats 16 hours of labor for 575, the amount of labor that went into the design of these modules and stand is a lot greater then 16 hours.
Who counts time spent on a hobby and compares it to a paying job??

I highly doubt you can make something more aesthetically pleasing and reliable then Blichmann can for that price tag
I'll take that bet any day.

I'm not trying to discourage people from buying this. Not everyone can build their own stuff. As I said before, if DIY is not your thing, this will bolt right onto your system. If you can build your own you can do it better for WAY cheaper.

Who counts time spent on a hobby and compares it to a paying job??

Those of us who have families or jobs and not a ton of spare time to spend fabricating. In some cases, there's definitely a cost associated for time spent on certain hobbies.

Nope. Not when I can build something WAY cheaper that has better automation automatically doing step mashes.

...If you can build your own you can do it better for WAY cheaper.

Can't argue against this really. Those with this mentality can't be convinced otherwise. Personally, I don't see a $300 home built PC to be on par with a Mac even they can do a lot of the same things. I also don't think a Corolla is as good as a 7-Series BMW just because it will get me from point A to point B. So, I don't see your home built rig to be the same as a product with real R&D, testing, engineers, etc behind it. Thats my opinion. You claim it's "better" but I sense that to you, "better" really means cheaper. That's totally cool, but it's also very subjective to claim you are doing it better.

i'll probably buy the mash tun module, i like that it will bolt right on to my top tier stand.

I bet this thing sells like crazy and ends up backordered when released.

I would have to save up for a a while to be able to buy this. I you are limited on time, you coul buy this and spend the time brewing instead of building. It would take me a lot of time to figure out how to build this and to build it.

I don't have the time to build my own and I don't have the money to buy one, so I'll just continue to manually control mash temperature.

In some cases, there's definitely a cost associated for time spent on certain hobbies.
Very true, however, unless you have a job that will just pay and pay and let you work all night, you can't compare that against the cost of a hobby. It's not like you were going to MAKE money instead of spending it...

You claim it's "better" but I sense that to you, "better" really means cheaper.
To me, better means cheaper AND more functions. This is all manually set meaning you have to walk over and change the temperature each time. Google Arduino and see the projects out there where you can just program it to run a multi-step mash with timed intervals. Yes, to me, being able to start my mash and have it run through steps automatically is better than spending $600 AND having to walk over and set each temperature. Mine will also not set off a siren every time it lights the burner.

ok ok so 20% is a bit low. STILL, at $1100 for a stand and a very basic automation system, it's VERY expensive. I'm glad for the people on here mocking the DIY people that you have that much disposable income to go dropping cash on a sticker that says Blichmann...

Never discouraged anyone from buying this. Rant over. RDWHAHB :mug:

To me, better means cheaper AND more functions. This is all manually set meaning you have to walk over and change the temperature each time. Google Arduino and see the projects out there where you can just program it to run a multi-step mash with timed intervals. Yes, to me, being able to start my mash and have it run through steps automatically is better than spending $600 AND having to walk over and set each temperature. Mine will also not set off a siren every time it lights the burner.

ok ok so 20% is a bit low. STILL, at $1100 for a stand and a very basic automation system, it's VERY expensive. I'm glad for the people on here mocking the DIY people that you have that much disposable income to go dropping cash on a sticker that says Blichmann...

on their website they are giving away the software needed to automate the process. you are right about the mocking of DIY folks but i barely have time to brew with two little girls swarming around me wanting to help so i can't imagine trying to build something like this myself. my wife does not work so my days off are her time to take a break from the girls meaning i have to babysit and brew at the same time. i am a DIY type of person, rebuilding a 1975 CB750 from the ground up right now, another black hole for time.

I'm glad for the people on here mocking the DIY people that you have that much disposable income to go dropping cash on a sticker that says Blichmann...

Don't get me wrong I am a DIYer and and built my system. It is the Arrogant DIYers I have issue with that throw out how they are so much better and smarter than the rest of us.

Sorry again for my rant. I don't have kids yet so I have abundant time to build and brew. I've built almost everything in my brewery and it's not some slapped together, unreliable crap. Since this is really the first commercially available automation system, it's going to sell a sh#t ton, and rightfully so! AUTOMATION IS AWESOME!! I just wish there was other vendor options. The problem is the liability a company assumes by giving any idiot with a credit card the ability to run a flame unattended. Hence, the really loud beeping... I'm sure part of the inflated cost is for Blichmann's liability insurance to defend against all the frivolous lawsuits.

I just got an email response from ASCO, the valve that is used retails for $88 and has a 50+ working day delivery estimate. Maybe that is why Blichmann has been slow to get this to market.

Very true, however, unless you have a job that will just pay and pay and let you work all night, you can't compare that against the cost of a hobby. It's not like you were going to MAKE money instead of spending it...

I used arduino for my senior design project, there are better boards and micro-controllers out there. I even planned on using arduino to make my own automaton system, with XBEE chip wireless communication so I could create my own RF remote to control the system wireless but I decided against the idea, some manual operation is exciting. Also, with arduino you have to get into learning arduinos open source language if you don't already, deciding on your power source, your leads, a circuit that is very complicated, and the enclosure you plan on using to fit all these pieces in to protect them from the elements of home brewing; its to complicated for most people. Again, like I said the man hours to accomplish a product like blichmann created is way more then I'd be willing to work on.

New video posted showing the TOP-Link automation software that can be used to control the modules.

No manual setting of each interval needed, pre-configure your mash profiles and let it run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool. One thing I noticed, though, was when the system was switched from Fahrenheit to Centigrade, the profile settings didn't change. While I realize it's not a hugely practical consideration, it would have been nice if the software converted all those settings...

Cheers!

Looks like prices are up on websites. I may try to built the tower and plumbing myself assuming I can find a good flow meter rated for such temps. I was thinking of having the plumbing running up the tower of the top tier once I relocate the gas line. What are your thoughts on DIY for the plumbing? Any issues I should consider while in the planning phase?

I'm interested, but that horn is a nuisance. Anyone have any idea how to turn it off?

If anyone can figure out what brand and model Pid he's using, I suppose you could unlock the settings and turn it off. The Pids on the unit have the blichmann name on them.

Ya having used it quite a few times now, it's really irritating. I rather doubt it's a function of the PID. The speaker is in the cord storage area so stuffing a rag in there muffles it.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I figured this might be a helpful bit of information. I bought a couple of tower of power controllers to use with my homemade (by a professional) Brutus-type stand. I used a CRT TV mount bolted to the stand. I screwed the Blichmann TOP controllers to the dual mounting plate and bolted the mounting plate to the CRT mount. The divot/cutout in the middle of the mount allowed me to screw the controllers to the plate and then screw the outside mounting holes to the holes I drilled in the CRT mount using the plate as a template. Works well, was cheap, and is easy to articulate.

IMAG0282-1.jpg

Have you found a way to stop the beeping? Is there a way to cut the speaker wire? Just curious. Thanks for the update. I am looking at getting the TOP in the next few months.

I haven't looked into it yet. I have only done a wet test with it so far. I can see how it could be annoying, but I haven't become sufficiently annoyed with it to break it open yet.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I figured this might be a helpful bit of information.

IMAG0282-1.jpg

Please don't be sorry. I'm glad you've added to this thread. On these boards there are waaayyyy to many triple and quad-dropple posts everywhere.

Anyway, great looking set-up. I'm noticing that you're not putting the temperature probes where you're thermometers are? Did you put them somewhere else in your pot?

Also, do you truly find a need to have TWO controllers. One for Mash I could see but is the second one necessary for the HLT?

Back