Anyone have a good Blood Orange Cider recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be pretty, but probably insanely high in acid. Would it be too sharp? A total acid titration kit will help you see were the juice starts before fermenting. If you adjust with something like calcium carbonate, you can bring the acidity into a normal range for ciders before fermenting. You might get a pectin break out with calcium, though? Other non calcium food grade pH increasers like potassium carbonate are at the home brew shop. Maybe you would want to adjust the acidity after fermentation, and adjust it to taste at bottling? A low pH fermentation is very clean, but lower than 2.9 weakens yeast. pH is not the same as TA total acidity, so don't just go by the pH. TA kits are at the homebrew shop too. I have acid reflux heart burn, so acidity is the first thing I thought of.

It will be pretty, but probably insanely high in acid. Would it be too sharp? A total acid titration kit will help you see were the juice starts before fermenting. If you adjust with something like calcium carbonate, you can bring the acidity into a normal range for ciders before fermenting. You might get a pectin break out with calcium, though? Other non calcium food grade pH increasers like potassium carbonate are at the home brew shop. Maybe you would want to adjust the acidity after fermentation, and adjust it to taste at bottling? A low pH fermentation is very clean, but lower than 2.9 weakens yeast. pH is not the same as TA total acidity, so don't just go by the pH. TA kits are at the homebrew shop too. I have acid reflux heart burn, so acidity is the first thing I thought of.

Very good advice thank you very much and i will experiment a bit. May be worth some 1 gallon batches to try some things out.

Whenever an "odd" recipe enters my mind, I go to the gallon batch size too. No point in making a lot of something you don't want to drink.

Latest posts

Back