Anyone have a beer style that they just cannot stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wit and hefeweizen (I can enjoy a good dunkelweizen though) come to mind. Also, not a huge fan of extremely bitter beers in general, but that isn't necessarily style related directly

In order of ascending dislike:

Wit (like Hoegaarden) and really high ester or phenolic hefe

Brown ale - commercial examples all seem too dry and bland

Extreme IPA's (> 60 IBU). But I really do like some tame English IPAs. There are also some hops flavors I can't stand, but I haven't spent enought time determining which varieties it comes from. I think it's some stuff in the stronger herbal direction.

Chocolate or Banana bread beers like Wells & Youngs - way to artificial

Sours like Flanders Red and Lambics

I'll join the IPA haters, though I do occasionally find a IIPA I can enjoy.

The style I'll add to the list is amber lagers. I grew up on Pacific-style amber ales like Alaskan, Full Sail, and the like. Then I moved to the Midwest, and every time something's advertised as an "amber," they really mean lager, and they all taste like unhopped, oxidized, watery, and cloyingly sweet versions of a decent ale.

No particular style I can't stand, but I don't buy ambers or browns. I try to brew a brown once in a while. I drink it, but it isn't a favorite by any means.

MaxStout said:
I hope the cactus is OK. ;)

And yes, that does sound awful. Who comes up with these ideas for off-the-wall beers? Some marketing weenies, no doubt.

I thought it might be good. I've had maple bacon donuts and they were good. The beer sucked horribly.

Cactus are tough, it's still alive.

IPAs...I've had a ton, and I've never had one I even kind of liked. To me, they taste like a hop tea mixed drink. I also hate gin, and I'm sure I will get a "well, actually" here, but in my anecdotal experience, those who like IPAs also like gin, and those who hate IPAs also hate gin. Not sure why I started asking, "Oh...so do you drink gin?" when I find out someone's opinion on IPAs, but I did, and there ya go.

IPAs...I've had a ton, and I've never had one I even kind of liked. To me, they taste like a hop tea mixed drink. I also hate gin, and I'm sure I will get a "well, actually" here, but in my anecdotal experience, those who like IPAs also like gin, and those who hate IPAs also hate gin. Not sure why I started asking, "Oh...so do you drink gin?" when I find out someone's opinion on IPAs, but I did, and there ya go.

I like IPAs, but hate gin. Not a fan said Sam I am.

I actually love gin (a whole, whole lot), but the only kind of ale I will drink is Bavarian weissbier. Can't stand Hoegaarden at all, something about the taste makes me want to spit it out. If it's ale and it's not made strictly according to a Bavarian recipe, I'm just not drinking it. Basically, with very few exceptions, when it comes to commercial beer, unless I'm living in Germany then I am only buying imported beer.

Like I said, my evidence is anecdotal and I knew I would get a dozen "well, actually's," but it's been my experience with the drinkers I see on a face-to-face basis...not sure what the correlation is, but as stated earlier...there you go.

Like I said, my evidence is anecdotal and I knew I would get a dozen "well, actually's," but it's been my experience with the drinkers I see on a face-to-face basis...not sure what the correlation is, but as stated earlier...there you go.

It's the pine flavor, isn't it?

Gin -> juniper berries -> strong pine flavor
Simcoe -> strong pine flavor

It took me a while to find a gin I actually liked (Seagram's Extra Dry). And the I prefer sweet vermouth to dry vermouth.

Gin makes me punchy for some reason.. drink gin.. black out.. wake up.. black eye

Back