Anyone giving away their sabco brewmajic system within wheeling distance of my garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinHickey

Reaction score
Serously I just watched all the videos... I need one of these. . Why so much money?/?/?

Also,

Anyone here have one? whats that thing like to clean?

I imagine the cost a lot of money because the folks making them want to profit from them. You know, that whole "capitalism" thing. There is always the law of supply and demand to keep the price in check.

Start sourcing parts to make a Sabco clone and I bet you can't do it for less than 75% not counting your time. I'm talking tri-clamp fittings welded, pumps, RIMS for mash maintenance, false bottom in BK and Mash Tun, 3-piece valves, control software, touchscreen, electronics, wiring, powder coated frame, keggles, thermometers, sight glasses, etc. That sh** adds up fast. Is it all needed, probably not but it is what it is. But if you want a great system and can't DIY then its great.

Holy frikin crap! I finally saw the price. For just under six thousand dollars they should give you all the grain, hops, yeast that you can use for an entire lifetime!

Once you buy the system you still have to worry about getting the chiller. Personally I think that the brewing software is overkill. Do you really need to record the entire brew day? Honestly, DIY Brutus or HERMS systems are just as accurate as the Sabco system.

Hell just build your own like I did.
img1660j.jpg

img144121.jpg

Hell just build your own like I did.
img1660j.jpg

img144121.jpg

My wife walked in and saw me looking at the pictures of your rig and said "Oh the HELL you don't". I just laughed at her. I didn't tell her but I already did, it just not a pretty as yours.

Once you buy the system you still have to worry about getting the chiller. Personally I think that the brewing software is overkill. Do you really need to record the entire brew day? Honestly, DIY Brutus or HERMS systems are just as accurate as the Sabco system.

Yes. The Vision 350 PLC is overkill and a HUGE cost liability ($1000) if it fries. But the underlying system is simple enough even a cave,an could wire in a simpler controller.

The software? It is nice, but I think it can be better. As to the records keeping, meh, if you want to perfectly match a brewday it helps.

Yes. The Vision 350 PLC is overkill and a HUGE cost liability ($1000) if it fries. But the underlying system is simple enough even a cave,an could wire in a simpler controller.

The software? It is nice, but I think it can be better. As to the records keeping, meh, if you want to perfectly match a brewday it helps.

The thing I don't like about the system is that it tells you when to fire up the burners and then you have to shut them off in time or you overheat the water/wort. For $6,000 it should atleast have an ignition system on there.

The thing I don't like about the system is that it tells you when to fire up the burners and then you have to shut them off in time or you overheat the water/wort. For $6,000 it should atleast have an ignition system on there.

That bothers me less than knowing that the PLC has something like 12 open ports available for things like solenoids and igniters but SABCO is keeping a tight lip on the password for the software.

I mean, I do understand but damn. If I "want" to upgrade the systems automation I'd have to re-write all the software to control everything. For the money, the software should be open source. Or, at least, the PLC should be shipped with a spare card having a password protected copy of the software for emergency.

How one could ever tire of looking at those photos I'll never know. It's just so shiny and full of awesomeness!

Personally, and this is no slight to the fabricator, but I tire of keeping stainless steel polished and clean. That **** shows every smudge, drip, and smear known to mankind.

That bothers me less than knowing that the PLC has something like 12 open ports available for things like solenoids and igniters but SABCO is keeping a tight lip on the password for the software.

I mean, I do understand but damn. If I "want" to upgrade the systems automation I'd have to re-write all the software to control everything. For the money, the software should be open source. Or, at least, the PLC should be shipped with a spare card having a password protected copy of the software for emergency.

Knowing this just makes me dislike the system even more. Like you said, for the money invested you should be able to have the option of changing the configuration of the system to suit your needs. Highly over rated in my opinion.

Personally, and this is no slight to the fabricator, but I tire of keeping stainless steel polished and clean. That **** shows every smudge, drip, and smear known to mankind.

Yes, but when it's clean nothing else comes close as far as visual appeal. :)

Knowing this just makes me dislike the system even more. Like you said, for the money invested you should be able to have the option of changing the configuration of the system to suit your needs. Highly over rated in my opinion.

Yes, but when it's clean nothing else comes close as far as visual appeal. :)

Ha Ha. I hear that. On both accounts.

All said and done tho', the BM does what it does very well and I am more than pleased in my purchase AND knowing "I" didn;t have to spend countless hours cutting, grinding, fitting, welding, and cursing to obtain it.

As to the chiller, I also bought the chill-wizard. And while it too is overpriced it works great for me.

IIRC, my total investment came in around $7k with all the proper fittings and silicone hoses (bought elsewhere). And aside from some windscreens around the burners I have felt little need to modify the BM from the original.

As long as you wipe it down with a wet cloth followed by a dry one it stays looking good the second pic is after about 330 gallons brewed.

Pat

Latest posts

Back