anyone fermented Kolsch at 75 deg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Gordon_Freeman

Reaction score
I was all ready and rearing to go with brewing a kolsch this weekend. I got the Wyeast strain to brew with.

Then I looked around and Wyeast recommends ~65 degrees to ferment at. I have no beer cooler, so there is no way I could hit this temp. In the house it's around 75 average, perhaps cooler to around 70 at night.

Has anyone used this strain and fermented at 75 / room temp? What were your results like? Am I boned on this one?

Thanks!!!

At 75F ambient temp the fermentation temp is going to be pushing 80F. There is no way I would try and do a Kolsch under those conditions. Search "swamp cooler" and consider putting one together, the engineering is pretty simple.

I suspect you are going to get some pretty fruity flavors at that temperature. It will certainly make beer, but lower temperature fermentation would be better. Personally, I like a Kolsch that has just a hint of fruit esters.

Yeah, the whole point of a Kolsch is to ferment cold. If you can't lager, or approach lagering temps (beyond even a swamp cooler I'd say), I would brew another beer instead.

I would go with the swamp cooler as well. Although you may not get it down to 60, you will still make good beer. I've done a "Kolsch" a few times now, and the one that tasted best to me was one where I started around 72 before I got the temperature down into the mid 60s by day 2 of active fermentation. Will it win any awards for fitting the "kolsch" guidelines? no. Damn fine beer though. The fruitiness is similar to a hefe, but more subdued. Personally, I'm going to continue doing it this way because that is what tastes good to me.

When you don't have temp control for your fermentations, the first question you need to ask yourself before deciding what to brew is: What temperature is my fermentation room going to be for the next week or two? Then decide what yeasts work well under those conditions, and finally what style those yeasts make.

When you don't have temp control for your fermentations, the first question you need to ask yourself before deciding what to brew is: What temperature is my fermentation room going to be for the next week or two? Then decide what yeasts work well under those conditions, and finally what style those yeasts make.

Well put. Part of a beer recipe is determining if the correct conditions exist for properly fermenting the brew.

Latest posts

Back