Anyone Ever Weigh Their Freshly Picked Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
Last year I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with freshly picked hops, but I never thought of weighing them to see how much I ended up with. Anyone got a general estimate on how many ounces you'd get out of a 5 gallon bucket? Planning a wet-hopped brew when I pick them, but trying to figure out how much I have!

A rule of thumb would be to divide fresh hop weight by 4.5 to approximate "dry" weight equivalent.

Fresh hops are about 80% moisture content (m.c.) and dry hops are between 8-10% m.c.

Say you have 100 grams of wet hops, that would be 80 grams water and 20 grams dry matter.

If you assume a dry hop m.c. of 10% for 20 grams dry matter it would be 2.2222 grams water (20g / 0.9 = 22.222g total weight).

100g fresh / 22.22g dry equals a wet to dry ratio of 4.50.

A rule of thumb would be to divide fresh hop weight by 4.5 to approximate "dry" weight equivalent.

Fresh hops are about 80% moisture content (m.c.) and dry hops are between 8-10% m.c.

Say you have 100 grams of wet hops, that would be 80 grams water and 20 grams dry matter.

If you assume a dry hop m.c. of 10% for 20 grams dry matter it would be 2.2222 grams water (20g / 0.9 = 22.222g total weight).

100g fresh / 22.22g dry equals a wet to dry ratio of 4.50.

Yup, but I'm trying to figure out how many ounces of fresh hops I'll have in a 5 gallon bucket. I'm trying to figure out if I have enough for a 10 gallon batch. I obviously won't know until I pick them, and I like to pick them as I'm mashing....

Back