Anyone ever try Wyeast Headwaters Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever try Wyeast Headwaters Ale? I found a smack pack in my beer fridge that I had forgotten about and now I see that MidWest does not carry this yeast anymore. It was manufactured less than 6 months ago and I am wondering if anyone can comment about their experience using it and what type of beer you may have brewed with it?

Thanks...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/headwaters-ale-wyeast-act1000-4-25-oz.html

Is this one of those new strains Wyeast is coming out with, specific to certain vendors? I can't say I've heard of this one before.

OK, so it is one of those. I guess it didn't sell too well. They make it out to be like a standard American strain, so lacking any further information, I'd treat it like one of the standard Cali ale yeasts.

Brewed an American Bitter six weeks ago (kegged, in the fridge for 4 weeks now), this yeast is having a really hard time dropping out of suspension. Still a yeasty aftertaste, I am not impressed with this yeast and would have a hard time buying it again (if they offer it again). My experiences...there are many, or all, other yeast that are much better than this one.

How long was your beer in the primary? Did you use a secondary and if so for how long? I am thinking this might be better for a maltier type of ale like a nut brown than for the pale ale I may have thought of using it for.

thanks for the reply.

1.5 weeks in primary, and I could have left it for a bit longer but it was finished fermenting. I don't secondary, no need with kegging, but I did jump the beer from one keg to another two weeks back just to try and leave some yeast behind.

Either way, too many better yeast out there in my mind.

Anyone ever try Wyeast Headwaters Ale? I found a smack pack in my beer fridge that I had forgotten about and now I see that MidWest does not carry this yeast anymore. It was manufactured less than 6 months ago and I am wondering if anyone can comment about their experience using it and what type of beer you may have brewed with it?

Thanks...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/headwaters-ale-wyeast-act1000-4-25-oz.html

They still make this strain for Midwest. I bought some the other day with a date of 5/3. They just had a lag on it when they ran out. One of the guys there said it took wyeast forever to get more.
I've brewed a few beers with this strain and really like it. It ferments nice and clean, a tad dry. It's a bit aggressive, so I'd recommend a blow off tube. It makes great American styles.

I wouldn't call Midwest supply my LHBS, but they're only 15 mins from my house so I'm there alot. According to them, wyeast plans on making this for them indefinitely. As long as it sells. And judging by how fast they seem to sell out, it'll be around for awhile. I talked with on of the guys there and he said that the brewers who work there love it. I concur, great yeast strain.

Beware of the dreaded Miss Information! People seem to be pulling her out of their a$$es these days!

1.5 weeks in primary, and I could have left it for a bit longer but it was finished fermenting. I don't secondary, no need with kegging, but I did jump the beer from one keg to another two weeks back just to try and leave some yeast behind.

Either way, too many better yeast out there in my mind.

Wyeast specifically recommends a longer secondary for this yeast if you want clear beer. I've not had any problems with clarifying or yeast flavors with this yeast after a two week primary and two-three week secondary. Last one I made with it was a light APA, very clear aside from protein haze, and it fermented nice and clean, no yeast flavor.
I've rushed beers before with different strains and had a cloudy yeast beer. I'd assume the same thing would happen if you rushed this yeast. A week and a half is not enuff time for any beer to finish, secondary or not. The gravity may have fallen, but the yeast need time to clean up after themselves.
I dont think your cloudy yeasty beer was due to this strain, but to not giving a yeast they say takes a LONG time enuff time to do it's job.

Beware of the dreaded Miss Information. People seem to be pulling her out of their a$$es these days.

Thar she blows .....

b3bf1057672d6e496870f2eeee7050051293770829_full.jpg

Hey JL, wanna join my band? We're called the Necro Trolls! :D

Back