Anyone ever see/use on of these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerbock

Reaction score
NEW SAF-T-FRYER 35Qt Turkey Fryer/Steamer/Boiler Stainless Steel

Does anyone think the odd shape of the pot would affect anything? I already have an outdoor burner, but it sucks. It takes almost two hours to bring 5 gallons to a boil. I end up heating 2.5 to steep the grains then add boiling water from the kitchen 1 gallon at a time to speed the process up.

Bottom line is I need a better burner or a cheap way to insulate the kettle.

Do you already have a large pot that you use for boil? If so why not just snag a better outdoor burner. They can be had at Amazon and several other places for much less than the setup you are looking at unless you need the pot. The link you posted says the burner is 43000 BTU, which is a little on the light side if you are doing boils over 5 gallons. I use a 65000 BTU burner which works pretty well for me. Many members use burners over 100000 BTU. Going much over 100000 will get you to boil quicker, but you start burning a lot more propane than is necessary as a lot is lost as heat around the sides of the pot.

Good point. I already have a 30qt pot, but the imaginations says "ooooooo, 2 pots and 2 burners, brew two batches at once!" I think I may do myself a huge favor and just snag a better burner.

Besides, I drink too much when I brew and would inevitably cross up 2 batches.

and further research tells me... I don't have a high pressure regulator on my current setup. This would account for the 2 hour boil time. I had to replace the connection that came with the turkey fryer setup (i got it for free) because it was missing the black plastic piece that screws on to the propane tank (real accurate description I know). So I bought a new hose and regulator from Lowes. I now know I bought a grill hose and regulator which just isn't enough for the turkey fryer.

I have the original hose and high pressure regulator minus the piece that locks it on to the propane tank.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this or what the obvious answer I am missing is?

So I solved the problem. Lowe's does not carry high pressure regulator's that have the ability to adjust the flame. I did figure out what the problem was. The turkey fryer that I got for free is old enough that the tip which connects to the propane tank is apparently not in use these days. I also figured out that the black plastic piece which threads onto the tank is called an "propane grill acme nut". They did carry these with the correct tip. I replaced it on my high pressure regulator and now I have a roaring blue fame that is just down right scary when turned all the way up. No more two hour boils for me!

Latest posts

Back