Anyone enter the National homebrew competition yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you who applied but haven't received an email you may need to check the AHA website. I did not receive an email accepting my entry requests so I went on the AHA website and logged in and it showed that my entry had been accepted. It's important to do since you only have 3 days from the date of acceptance in order to make your payment.

If your email address is from AT&T you might have the same problem. AT&T is very aggressive in blocking emails they consider spam and, in those cases, they do not deliver them at all.

Which site did you log into to check?

That's what I was hoping you wouldn't say.

I haven't received an email yet, and my AHA username/password aren't working on that site. When I try to reset the password, it says that username doesn't exist in the system.

User name should be the email you registered with the AHA. Password should be your membership number.

Oh, well, that's dumb

Aaaand, that didn't work either. Should I wait for the email, or is it time to reach out to them?

Save 5, two for 1st round and 3 for the final round. An aged beer, should be fine not rebrewing I'd say.

I'm not 100% committed to what I'm entering, but I've got a pretty good idea. I can make 5 happen no problem, it's just a matter of what a) I think is highest quality and b) regardless of what I know to be high quality, what I think incompetent 1st round judges might still get right.

Thaks Q. Good info.

Just entered one beer myself. Cofirmed and paid.

Just entered the information for my 5 (although 3 of them still need to be brewed lol). I'll probably brew a 4th in case they come back later and let me enter a 6th.

I got the 4 spot I asked for and my first choice judging site.

While looking at the judging schedule I started wonder if I should go for the closest or the soonest to be judged. I went with closest, but am wondering what other did/do.

I put in for 6 spots at the closest location, but I checked ALL locations as possibilities, I got 5 at the location I wanted. I may only end up paying for 4 of them though, One of the beers just ist tasting as good to me as it did a month ago...

I got the 4 spot I asked for and my first choice judging site.

While looking at the judging schedule I started wonder if I should go for the closest or the soonest to be judged. I went with closest, but am wondering what other did/do.

Where is the information regarding when the varying locations judge?

EDIT: NVM, found it.

I put in for 6 spots at the closest location, but I checked ALL locations as possibilities, I got 5 at the location I wanted. I may only end up paying for 4 of them though, One of the beers just ist tasting as good to me as it did a month ago...

Pretty sure the rules state you have to pay for all that are accepted, even if you choose not to submit all of them.

I didn't see that, but I will go ahead and pay for them all then, no biggie, I can send a sub par beer... Hell, I might even be able to brew up something new to send, still have 4 weeks!

I didn't see that, but I will go ahead and pay for them all then, no biggie, I can send a sub par beer... Hell, I might even be able to brew up something new to send, still have 4 weeks!

Took me a while to find it, but in the FAQ:
Q: I asked for too many entries during the registration, can you delete the extras and refund the entry fee?

A: Due to the high demand on the competition and the random selection process for placing entrants in each competition, the ability to add or delete entries has been removed from the program. Whatever number of entries you said you wanted when you applied to be in the competition (up to the determined maximum) is the number of entries you have been granted.

See below

I have not received an email, nor am I able to log in to the competition website. I get the same error message as BGBC.

I also tried capitalizing my email address just in case, still got the same error message.

Are others having the same problem?

I have not received an email, nor am I able to log in to the competition website. I get the same error message as BGBC.

I also tried capitalizing my email address just in case, still got the same error message.

I am. I emailed AHA, no reply yet.

samsies.

It may be that you have to login to the regular AHA site first and then login to the competition website.
Try going to http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ and logging in. Then under the Competitions tab click on "Registration and Entry". The third section of that page is the Editing and Paying for Entries section. In that section there is a link to the Competition Website. Click on that link. Then on the next page enter your user name or email address and for the password you have to enter your AHA membership number.

That should do it.

For ppl having problems, the email (when/if you receive it) has this note in it:

Entrant notifications are being sent in staggered groups, but if a large number of entrants are attempting to access the software at the same time you may experience slow speeds. If this is the case, you may come back later to finish your entry payment, so long as it is completed by the deadline of 11:59 PM Eastern Standard time on Friday, February 12.​

I have a feeling you'll be notified soon. I asked for (3) spots in Nashville and got them.

It may be that you have to login to the regular AHA site first and then login to the competition website.
Try going to http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ and logging in. Then under the Competitions tab click on "Registration and Entry". The third section of that page is the Editing and Paying for Entries section. In that section there is a link to the Competition Website. Click on that link. Then on the next page enter your user name or email address and for the password you have to enter your AHA membership number.

That should do it.

It doesn't look like there's any difference if you log in to the AHA website first or go directly to the competition website. There's no SSO in place or anything.

I don't have any issue logging in on the AHA site, but my username is not recognized on the competition website.

That should do it.

That doesn't work, nor does requesting a password. When I registered I was brought to a confirmation page, but I noticed yesterday that I never received a confirmation email.

That doesn't work, nor does requesting a password. When I registered I was brought to a confirmation page, but I noticed yesterday that I never received a confirmation email.

Hm, I did get a confirmation email

For ppl having problems, the email (when/if you receive it) has this note in it:

Entrant notifications are being sent in staggered groups, but if a large number of entrants are attempting to access the software at the same time you may experience slow speeds. If this is the case, you may come back later to finish your entry payment, so long as it is completed by the deadline of 11:59 PM Eastern Standard time on Friday, February 12.​

I have a feeling you'll be notified soon. I asked for (3) spots in Nashville and got them.

Thanks for posting this. I already sent an email in, but I'll sit tight for now.

5 entries for SD. Entering a combo of proven recipes and ones I can't figure out what's wrong with...

Save the ones you're looking for diagnostics. With the checklist scoresheets used at NHC, you probably won't get the feedback you're looking for. If you just want feedback, enter in a local comp or take to a homebrew club. NHC is really only for entering to win.

Just my advice.

Save the ones you're looking for diagnostics. With the checklist scoresheets used at NHC, you probably won't get the feedback you're looking for. If you just want feedback, enter in a local comp or take to a homebrew club. NHC is really only for entering to win.

Just my advice.

Darn. That's disappointing. I was hoping this would be the best feedback. My theory was that the best judges would turn out for this one. I have a witbier where something is just super odd and I have no idea what it's issue is.

Darn. That's disappointing. I was hoping this would be the best feedback. My theory was that the best judges would turn out for this one. I have a witbier where something is just super odd and I have no idea what it's issue is.

In theory, yes. More higher ranked judges tend to be on hand for NHC. However, not always. The small number of Certified+ judges I had last year was infuriating (I'm used to having at least one National+ judge per flight judging my beers, last year I think I had one where the highest was Recognized, I entered 4 beers, and I think I only had ONE National judge on any of them, and no one higher than that, I usually get at least a Master judge or two).

However, even then, it's a different scoresheet. Rather than the normal written one, NHC uses the faster checklist sheet. Some judges will still write notes. But there's a lot less room to write. So ultimately you may get a more accurate perception out of NHC judges, but you won't necessarily get the same level of feedback. Now if there's an off-flavor you can't diagnose, they may be able to point it out for you, but simply saying it's there only goes so far.

In theory, you'll get the best perception of your beer.

That may help YOU figure out what's wrong, but many people incorrectly assume that competition score sheets (even if they weren't using checklist scoring) can improve recipes/techniques.

Since judges don't see the recipe and don't know your technique, they can really only guess about what improvements to suggest (which we're really not supposed to do anyways).

But, comp feedback can be helpful in identifying off flavors (certain esters, phenols, astringency, etc.) that you may not detect, or not know the terminology (it's hard to correct something if you can't define it).

In theory, yes. More higher ranked judges tend to be on hand for NHC. However, not always. The small number of Certified+ judges I had last year was infuriating (I'm used to having at least one National+ judge per flight judging my beers, last year I think I had one where the highest was Recognized, I entered 4 beers, and I think I only had ONE National judge on any of them, and no one higher than that, I usually get at least a Master judge or two).

However, even then, it's a different scoresheet. Rather than the normal written one, NHC uses the faster checklist sheet. Some judges will still write notes. But there's a lot less room to write. So ultimately you may get a more accurate perception out of NHC judges, but you won't necessarily get the same level of feedback. Now if there's an off-flavor you can't diagnose, they may be able to point it out for you, but simply saying it's there only goes so far.

That's fair. Well I have 4 good recipes that are definitely going in. The one issue one may have an off flavor but I dont know how to describe it. Maybe I'll
Start a thread here asking for some help. Thanks for the advice!

Since judges don't see the recipe and don't know your technique, they can really only guess about what improvements to suggest (which we're really not supposed to do anyways).

This is a good point as well, and it applies to all competitions, not just NHC. A lot of times when judging I get beers I will swear are new brewers who know something is wrong and don't know what, but without being able to work through their process, I can point out what's wrong, offer suggestions as to what MIGHT fix it, but if I can't sit down with you and go over your recipe/process I'm just making educated guesses.

If you want to diagnose a problem, give to an experienced judge/taster/brewer/your homebrew club and go over it in person where you can discuss recipe and process.

Back