Anyone else annoyed with newer breweries using cans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oscar Blues also uses cans exclusively because they can be taken to the beach and pool, places where glass is frowned upon. I get it but I like to use the bottles. I do not buy much OB because of this, though I love it.

They use them because the beer is less likely to be oxygenated than if it is cans. And OP needs to be educated as to why breweries use them.

On the Oskar Blues tour, the guide said the main reason they use cans is because they can fit more beer in delivery trucks.

On the Oskar Blues tour, the guide said the main reason they use cans is because they can fit more beer in delivery trucks.

No. I took classes at Oskar Blues and I believe what I was told. And we weren't told by a chick that has worked there for a few weeks.

They use them because the beer is less likely to be oxygenated than if it is cans. And OP needs to be educated as to why breweries use them.

I understand benefits most importantly keeping the beer fresher from what you stated oxygenation and from being light struck. I should've clarified I don't hate cans, and honestly there's no taste difference, BUT when looking at it from a home brewers point of view it kinda upsets me.

Since moving to NE I have come to appreciate canned craft beer. A lot of the bottled beer is light struck and tastes bad but the canned beer is g2g. That said, there are plenty of good breweries that still bottle. I keg and to be honest that is the way to go. Bottling is just too much work unless it's something that I want to age and then I have 22's so I don't need 50+ bottles.

If I'm lounging around at home amongst the gumtrees I'll always neck stubbies (375ml bottles of amber health fluid). But if I'm heading out bush for a while, I'll aways take cans. There's nothing worse than a mob of roos demolishing ya stubbie stack. Ya see the buggers are attracted to the amber glass for some stupid reason. Makes a bloody mess. Plus cans cool down on the ice quicker when ya have raging thirst after fighting off the snakes and wombats.

Cans for the win! I dont think bottles are going anywhere. Lhbs will always carry them and it cheaper to buy 24 empty bottles than 12 full ones.

I don't know how much cans cost, but I do know the bottles sometimes cost more than the beer going into them. And I keg, so I have no use for them, so I like cans.

Still not following how op would eventually run out of bottles? Do you smash them after finishing each one? Do you give them away? If so, just ask that they be returned or exchanged for empties...

Cans are fine. Beer is beer to me...

Still not following how op would eventually run out of bottles? Do you smash them after finishing each one? Do you give them away? If so, just ask that they be returned or exchanged for empties...

Cans are fine. Beer is beer to me...

maybe if he gives away bottles a lot.
I mostly lose my bottles when I give beers to friends and family.

Nope. Love cans. Yup, absolutely better for the enviornment (scoff away, but the amount of energy it takes to recycle a bottle vs a can, as well as transport them (empty and full) due to the weight difference is real.)

Cans are more convenient and eliminate any light exposure. However, I enjoy drinking from bottles more than cans, must be nostalgia. Also, I cannot recycle cans for my homebrew.

I think canned beer is better, especially for IPAs. I dont know the verdict yet for sours, belgians and other big beers. but the re-cycling thing isn't entirely true.
yes to recycle a can vs a bottle might be easier but in other countries, bottles are re-used. you go to the back of a restaurant/bar and there are mountains of crates filled with empty bottles. the beer companies charge a deposit for their bottles and plastic crate.
when the beer guy comes to drop off new cases, they pick up the empty cases, if some are missing, tack on a new deposit for said bottles, back to the brewery they go, cleaned and packaged up with more beer.

all that said, if there was a cheap canning machine and i didnt have to buy crates of cans, id can in a second

Is canning actually cheaper? It used to be quite a bit more expensive. In a brewery operation I would can. Holds flavor better and easier/cheaper to ship. Plus people can take them on the go easily. I'm guessing "better for the environment" didn't come up in discussions.

Anyway just buy empty bottles. You can get 24 for basically the same as a six pack.

I think canned beer is better, especially for IPAs. I dont know the verdict yet for sours, belgians and other big beers. but the re-cycling thing isn't entirely true.
yes to recycle a can vs a bottle might be easier but in other countries, bottles are re-used. you go to the back of a restaurant/bar and there are mountains of crates filled with empty bottles. the beer companies charge a deposit for their bottles and plastic crate.
when the beer guy comes to drop off new cases, they pick up the empty cases, if some are missing, tack on a new deposit for said bottles, back to the brewery they go, cleaned and packaged up with more beer.

all that said, if there was a cheap canning machine and i didnt have to buy crates of cans, id can in a second

This just doesn't happen in most respectable breweries in U.S. New Belgium brewery has bottles with engravings. So does Sam Adams I think. Stone and others have paint on logos. Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada have shorties but they are different standards. Besides when you put your bottled out in recycling bin they don't go to specific brewery. They get crushed and glass is recycled. Less than 40-% of material used to make new bottles comes from crushed recycled bottles. See my post above.

Old Milwaukee, and other cheap swill, only comes in cans. If your selling that quality of product, then it deserves to be put in a can. Good beer deserves a bottle!

Just my $.02.

Is canning actually cheaper? It used to be quite a bit more expensive. In a brewery operation I would can. Holds flavor better and easier/cheaper to ship. Plus people can take them on the go easily. I'm guessing "better for the environment" didn't come up in discussions.

Anyway just buy empty bottles. You can get 24 for basically the same as a six pack.

A white-shirt from Anchor Glass told me that a bottle costs 11¢ and a can about 1¢ (he said 25¢ / case). To me, that 11¢ cost seemed really high, but he supposedly knew these things.

Mobile canning services are leveling the playing field amongst large corporate breweries and small craft brewing operations by enabling the craft brewer to package and distribute its beer to locations otherwise not accessible with the same quality and freshness as it's local market.

This just doesn't happen in most respectable breweries in U.S. New Belgium brewery has bottles with engravings. So does Sam Adams I think. Stone and others have paint on logos. Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada have shorties but they are different standards. Besides when you put your bottled out in recycling bin they don't go to specific brewery. They get crushed and glass is recycled. Less than 40-% of material used to make new bottles comes from crushed recycled bottles. See my post above.

just read the article. i doubt it will ever happen in the US. There are just too many breweries and seperating bottles might be more labor and effort than just recycling them. unless distributors got on board somehow.
But thats where kegs come into play. The good thing is that every bar/restaurant US has draft systems. even beer/liquor stores have growler fill stations now. I imagine most european countries do too, but in latin america, draft systems rarely exist, so the re-useable bottle model works.

Cans are better than bottles in every respect except this one:

Selection is still far better in bottles.

As long as that is true, I don't think I am going to run out of bottles.

Refillable bottles are most ecologically sound, but cans are a (distant) second.

Most of europe uses refillable bottles, including places such as grolsch or many german brands that have special bottles.

Oscar Blues also uses cans exclusively because they can be taken to the beach and pool, places where glass is frowned upon. I get it but I like to use the bottles. I do not buy much OB because of this, though I love it.

They also prefer cans because they are conducive to making a smoking implement :drunk:

I prefer cans and wish more breweries were canning. I've done a side-by-side with the same beer packaged on a similar date and the canned version preserved the hop flavor and aroma a lot more than the bottled one. It wasn't even close. Not to mention the fact that canned beer won't skunk from light.

Cans are lined with plastic though... That's my drawback to them.

Glass bottles convey a greater image of quality, IMO.
However, it would cool to see the craft brewers using aluminum screw-top "bottles" ala BMC.
cl%20nfl12%20841562.JPG

Cans are lined with plastic though... That's my drawback to them.

What are you saying about plastic? All of the canned vegetables and soups and tuna etc. are lined with plastic, and have been for a long time. Gatorade and bottled water and milk comes in plastic. Everything comes in plastic. Wine corks are plastic. The water pipes in your house are probably plastic.

Bottles make much better spitters for chewing tobacco.

But, I don't chew anymore.

And, I don't buy much commercial beer anymore anyways, so I really don't care either way.

But, I find SNPA tastes better from a bottle than from a can. Probably psychological though.

In other words, meh. But I figured I'd join in on the first world problem ***** fest, since that's what we do on HBT. Half the world doesn't have easy access to a clean drink of water, but let's butch about the packaging vessel beer comes in. :p

What are you saying about plastic? All of the canned vegetables and soups and tuna etc. are lined with plastic, and have been for a long time. Gatorade and bottled water and milk comes in plastic. Everything comes in plastic. Wine corks are plastic. The water pipes in your house are probably plastic.

boom. but i swear i can taste the plastic from this oak ages tripel sour saison! (brewed by virgin monks in the appalachian mountains of course)

Bottles make much better spitters for chewing tobacco.

But, I don't chew anymore.

And, I don't buy much commercial beer anymore anyways, so I really don't care either way.

But, I find SNPA tastes better from a bottle than from a can. Probably psychological though.

In other words, meh. But I figured I'd join in on the first world problem ***** fest, since that's what we do on HBT. Half the world doesn't have easy access to a clean drink of water, but let's butch about the packaging vessel beer comes in. :p
I'll trade them some water for clean beer bottles...:goat:

too soon?

Funny question, any brewer that knows what they are doing knows cans are a much better medium for storing and transporting beer. Modern cans impart no flavor, and provide full light protection. People have for decades commented beer is best from kegs..guess what modern cans are same. No skunking at all. If you think canned beer is bad you really should just go back to Bud in bottles.

Back