Anyone brewed with cane syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Anyone ever used cane syrup in their bier? Not to be confused with corn syrup, it's a southern product similar to molasses but thinner. (pictured here http://www.cajunbrands.com/prodimages/steens/steens_12oz_small.jpg or http://ppmuseum.org/images/PureCaneSyrup.jpg here) Think I'm gonna try it in an upcoming brew. Looking for input? I think & hope it'll be like a cross between dark belgian candy sugar and molasses. Probably more molasses than belg cand sug, but some of that dark fruit character would be sweet!

Schlante,
Phillip

I have seen some recipes with it in there. I can't stand the taste of the stuff, so I skipped over them. I can't remember where they were, but I'm sure someone on here has some. Luck - Dwain

Hey, did you end up using it? I actually bought some of that tonight and am considering on using it in my barleywine. Despite what Dwain said, I think it's delicious. It's like molasses, but not as acidic or something.

Yes I've used it in my RIS & something else. It's a good addition to a big brews or anything dark. Probably will work quite well with a BW, I wouldn't go overboard though.

Schlante,
Phillip

I haven't used Cane syrup, but can't wait to find and try some. I love using strange sugars, and syrups and even trying to make my own.

I just used jaggery and Date Palm Syrup in my Sri Lankin Stout last week.

76465_453781254066_620469066_5475195_8172048_n.jpg

It's great suing stuff like that, it adds a unique quality to your beers.

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I actually got tired of thinking about it last night, and just ended up boiling 1.1 lb of Piloncillo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panela in 1 cup of water for a minute, cooled to room temp, then added to my fermenting wort. I still have the cane syrup, and I'm thinking about adding it to the Founders Breakfast Stout clone that's posted here on the site when I brew that in a couple of weeks. What do you think I should use on Beersmith to calculate gravity for taht stuff? I know with the Piloncillo I just entered it as brown sugar, but the cane syrup is kinda different. Should I just put it in as molasses?

Revvy - The date palm syrup sounds somewhere between amazing and interesting. Can you describe the taste in it's syrup form & what you think you might get from it?

HalfPint - When calculating I've just entered it in as molasses and my numbers have come out fine.

Schlante,
Phillip

Bringing this old post back to life. Does anyone have any recipes that specifically call for cane sugar? Or suggestions on what I could brew with it? I just picked up a small bottle of "Almost Rum". A local distiller makes it. They say its the same stuff they use in their mash when making rum... just unfermented.

Anybody tried this? I have two pounds of Miel de Caña from Malaga which is pretty much the same thing: unfiltered boiled down sugar cane syrup. It's sweeter and lighter than molasses but has plenty more going on than golden syrup. Current plan was to use it in an old ale with 12# of pale malt or so.

lets do one gallon recipe: 1 32 ounce can of ribbon cane syrup 2 oz cascade hops one packet safAle us-o5 yeast 1.5 gals spring water, half hour boil add hops at flameout let er rip tater chip. Note: An older co-worker of mine who was raised in evergreen alabama said his folks would skim off the top of the cane syrup impuities and save that to make what he called cane skimmin beer. said it would bust yer head wide open :D

I have seen some recipes with it in there. I can't stand the taste of the stuff, so I skipped over them. I can't remember where they were, but I'm sure someone on here has some. Luck - Dwain
Try some in your plate after you finish your red beans. Add a swirl of evaporated milk and sop it up with bread. M-m-m-m. I bet you'll be able to stand that!

Getting ready to brew a sugar cane wheat. Going for a similar beer to Parish Brewing company Canebrake American Wheat.

5 Gallon batch
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.011
EST ABV: 5.1%
SRM: 4.1
IBU: 19

6 lbs Golden Promise
4 lbs White Wheat
8 oz of Steen's Pure Cane Syrup

Mash at 153 degrees 60 min
Mash out 170 degrees 15 minutes

.75 oz Sterling (7.5 IBU) at 60 min