Anyone brew somewhere between 1 and 5 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bford

Reaction score
I know several people that brew 5-10 gallons at a time... honestly, that is more beer than I would like to brew/store at this moment.

I'm looking at starting with 1 gallon kits... but of course, finishing with 8 or 9 twelve ounce bottles of beer is probably a bit less than I'd like to make... I know, first world problems!

Anyway, if I start with a one gallon system, would it be very hard to move up to 2-3 gallon batches in the future. I know with the right software, converting recipes is supposed to be pretty easy. I've found fermenters of inbetween sizes of different types also.

Just wondering if anyone already does this.. I know Mr. Beer is somewhere around 2.5 gallons or so, but I'm looking at getting into all grain and piecing the equipment out a little at a time, once I need more than the basic setup.

I can't help you with your specific question, but I'm also a light drinker. Actually, I don't drink enough to even justify the cost of the brewing equipment, but the process of making it is fascinating! I was thinking just as you are until I gave it a bit more thought.

5 gallons seems like a lot till you think of how little of space it takes to store it. You're not likely going to drink all of it at one time, and they say it only gets better with age. My thinking is, is that with the 1-2 gallon batches, by the time you space them out a lil bit to see how age effects them, you'll already be out.

A five gallon batch will take up no more space than two milk crates. Make up a batch and when it's time to drink them, enjoy a six pack or two and let the rest age another month or so to see how time effects them.

I must admit, that I just bottled up my second 5 gallons last night and yet to enjoy the final product yet so I'm hoping my plan is a solid one. Otherwise, I might be looking at Mr. Beer myself. Lol

Happy Thanksgiving,

Ken

My standard batch size is between 2.5 and 3 gallons with the volume dependent upon the staring gravity. This yields around a case + or beer each batch. I have several 3-gal better bottles and a couple of the MoreBeer plastic 3-gal bottles for fermenting and a 5.5 gal pot for brewing. I also have a Mr. Beer keg fermentor, which I use more for bottling now instead of brewing, but it comes in handy. It holds only about 2.25 gallons, so is useful for slightly smaller batches when I am really not sure how my recipe will turn out.

I do all-grain BIAB on my gas stove very easily with these size batches.

The initial motivation for this size was to brew a number of different styles and brew more often. Brewing more often allowed me to get better control on my brewing procedure and I can stock up on the types of beers I like before late spring activities zap my time. Now I find it is far less cumbersome than to pull out my propane burner outside and brew a 5-gal batch in the cold.

Being able to more easily brew in my kitchen is another reason.... a couple of friends brew on their back porch in the summer... and being down here in Texas, they don't start until after 8pm.. so it makes for some warm and late nights....

I know a downfall, especially when starting, is there aren't any? kits out there in the between sizes... but I guess it isn't hard to pick up too one gallon kits to combine..

Thanks for the replies so far!

I most often brew 3-gallon batches. I do brew in a bag, and it seems to work out pretty well (I have a pretty small kettle, too - it's only 5 gallon capacity). I like this system for two reasons: I end up brewing more often because I run out of beer pretty quickly, so I'm learning and exploring more styles of beer! Secondly, I bottle, and bottling is my least favorite part of the process, so it's nice when it's only ~30 12-oz bottles.

I do 2.5-3 gal stovetop all grain batches like Oginme - BIAB and I've also used a 3 gallon drink cooler lined with a paint strainer bag as a tun. Most donut shops and bakeries get their frosting and filling in 4.25 gal buckets with lids, which are a perfect size for fermenting. I've gotten some for free, you might stop by a local shop and ask. You can use a bigger bucket if it's just for primary but I like the smaller ones better. The 3 gal better bottles are nice too but a little less room for blowoff if you're using as a primary.

Recipes are directly scalable so you don't even need software, just multiply all the ingredients by your batch size/recipe batch size. A lot of the online online shops post their kit recipes so you can buy the ingredients individually, or check the recipe database here.

As for recipes in the 2.5 to 3 gallon range, I create my own. There are many recipe sites, including the recipe files here on HBT, where you can find good recipes others have made and scale them down accordingly. Good software helps with this. I use BeerSmith, but there are plenty of free options available on the web.

Stove top BIAB in a 5 gallon pot. I scale the recipes for 15 litres but had to top up a litre on the last batch (lost wort to the hops and maybe should have sparged just a little more into the kettle).

I may start scaling for 14 litres.

I use my full size fermenter (Cooper's DIY) even when doing these smaller all grain batches.

One thing to think about with smaller batches is that eventhough brew day and bottling day are a little quicker and easier the turn around for a one gallon batch is the same as for a 5 or 10 gallon batch. It takes me atleast 6 weeks grain to glass. That's a long time to wait for 10 beers (that's around what you'd get out of a one gallon batch).

I do between 2.5-6 gallon batches depending on lots of factors. I do them all on the same system in a 10 gal pot with the same bag for BIAB and all in 6.5 gal buckets. I do have a 3 gal better bottle for smaller secondaries. I get to brew more often with more variety leading to me (I believe) being a better brewer. Practice makes perfect and all that stuff.

I am a new brewer also. I make 2.5-5 gallon batches. Neither are complicated. I like my LBK because I can put it in my mini fridge. I also have a 6.5 gallon carboy and 6.5 gallon fermenting and bottling buckets. Keep a watch on CL. Sometimes you can score huge deals.

If you know anyone that works out, the protein shake comes in 2 gallon plus buckets. Just got 2 from a buddy that I am going to use for fermenting smash brews.

Bill

I do a lot of 2-3 gallon batches. If I am doing a big beer like the 11% RIS I made or something different like my smoked stout that I know has limited interest I'll go small. I do not need 50 bottles of either one of those. I also can do the smaller batches in my kitchen when it is cold out. The last thing is it is cheap to do small batches and get a good pipeline going, I would rather have 10 different beers with 20 or so bottles than 3 beers with 50. I still keg and when I do I make 5 to fill the keg.

Thanks for all the replies... good to know it isn't complicated or a big deal.

I also have a small kitchen, but it's doable. Good luck. Kits are not that expensive. I guess worst case you could halve the batch and give it to someone else.

http://medicdiver.smugmug.com/Home-Brewing

Here is a link to my lil brewing spot, so it can be done. lol

Checked out your pics... where did you get the long rectangular black container for sanitizing your equipment? It looks extremely useful due to the size!

My standard size batch is 2.5 to 3 gals..

Regarding the wallpaper tray.. I looked at them and they will work.. but, I went to either Lowes or Home De pot.. and picked up a flower tray.. they are a bit less flimsy.. a bit deeper and a bit wider.. Def long enough to put the autosiphon etc into.

The Lowes here in my hometown only had the short ones that were about 20"s. I went over to Sherwin Williams and picked a cpl up. Also procured a strainer that sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. Both have proved very useful. All found with the assistance of forum members. :)

Depending on your kitchen, a 2 gallon setup is probably already at your disposal. I suggest getting started with a 2.5 gallon system. That way the carboy will make a great setup once you move to 3-5 gallons.

You need to think of not HOW MUCH you will brew...but HOW OFTEN. In other words, if you can brew often...2 gallons mights fit the bill, if not...4-5 gallons might be perfect. Don't listen to the "you will move up" argument. I haven't in many years due to life and how often i really like to brew. Smaller batches involve less investment and more care. You will learn to take care of your batches and as you move up...have a greater knowledge as you do so.

I brew 3.5-4 gallon batches. I do all grain using a 5-gallon converted cooler for a mash tun and run a split boil on my kitchen stove - 2.5ish gallons of first runnings into one kettle and 2.5ish gallon second runnings into a second kettle. It's a bit more complicated, but it works for me given my equipment on hand and space and allows me to do all grain.

Clearly from all the responses, smaller all grain batches are certainly possible - you just need to figure out a system that will work for you.

Up to 3.5 gallon BIAB stovetop in a 5 gallon kettle. I sprinkle sparge with the bag sitting over a grate and get right around 75% efficiency. I don't drink during the week and I enjoy brewing regularly so the batch size works well.

10L batches here. Stovetop BIAB. Ferment in plastic jerry cans that hold around 12L max (sometimes have three on the go at once). Usually have a good mix of beers in the pipeline too.

Well I'm about to brew my second one gallon batch this week... another Brooklyn Brew Shop mix... the Bourbon Dubbel.

After this one, think I'm going to order a couple of different recipes from Austin Homebrew or Northern Brewer.

Northern Brewer seems to have the most small batch mixes available that I can find.

Up to 3.5 gallon BIAB stovetop in a 5 gallon kettle. I sprinkle sparge with the bag sitting over a grate and get right around 75% efficiency. I don't drink during the week and I enjoy brewing regularly so the batch size works well.

Sprinkle sparge... does that mean just pouring a bit of the sparge water over the grains at a time? Seems like it would be a bit easier than trying to slowly pour the entire kettle over the grains at once....

Sprinkle sparge... does that mean just pouring a bit of the sparge water over the grains at a time? Seems like it would be a bit easier than trying to slowly pour the entire kettle over the grains at once....

I just take a large cup and scoop water out of the second pot and pour it over the grains suspended over the pot while the burner is heating up the rest of the wort. The sparge water than trickles through the grain and into the pot. Certainly could pick up the second pot and pour, but I figure with a slow "sparge" it's a little closer to a fly sparge. I'm consistently getting 75% efficiency with this method without a special crush.

I've only just started doing this last week. I brewed a 3.5gal APA. I did the same as CHurchin. I set my grain bag on a wire cake rack straggling the brew kettle. I use a measuring cup to slowly sparge while I'm heating the wort. I didn't have his level of efficiency though. I took a pre-boil wort reading and added some DME to hit my target. Used gravity unit calculations to determine how much DME I needed.

If you have a second pot big enough you can also do a dunk sparge (really a batch sparge). I get 77-80% efficiency with this. After the mash I lift and squeeze the bag, then dunk it in my second pot and stir like crazy, lift and squeeze again. I'm usually sparging with about 1.25-1.5 gal, I think my second pot is a 12 qt stockpot.

You can get 16 quart stock pots for like $20. Perfect for this batch size, and fit a 5 gallon paint bag really well.

Back