Anyone bored and want to help me convert an All Grain to Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebowski

Reaction score
I've been helping a couple friends brew about 3- batches and now I'm up to brew myself. I found a recipe I want to us, but it is all grain. We do extract with steeping.
I've scouring the interwebs trying to get a conversion. I found some formulas, but they all seem to lose me at some point because I'm not that familiar with all the lingo yet (only on chapter 2 of Joy of Home Brewing).
I'm hitting the shop this afternoon and would love some help.
Here is the grain bill:
5 Gallons
O.G. 1.075
11.4 SRM (though I'm not worried about the color)

6.5 lbs Continental Pils Malt
7.0 lbs Munich Malt
5.0 oz Crystal 120L

Also, it calls for a 90 minute boil. We've always done 60 minutes. What would 90 do, and would that change when this is an extract?

You're probably going to need to list your hop schedule and your boil volume. It will get you better info.

I've been helping a couple friends brew about 3- batches and now I'm up to brew myself. I found a recipe I want to us, but it is all grain. We do extract with steeping.
I've scouring the interwebs trying to get a conversion. I found some formulas, but they all seem to lose me at some point because I'm not that familiar with all the lingo yet (only on chapter 2 of Joy of Home Brewing).
Here is the grain bill:
5 Gallons
O.G. 1.075

7.0 lbs Munich Malt
5.0 oz Crystal 120L

Also, it calls for a 90 minute boil. We've always done 60 minutes. What would 90 do, and would that change when this is an extract?

Do you have access to munich extract? The 90 minute boil is probably because of the pilsner malt. I probably wouldn't worry about it with extract.

You're probably going to need to list your hop schedule and your boil volume. It will get you better info.

I know my shop won't have all the hops listed in my recipe, but they have a chart there to convert hops, so I'm not worried about that part.

Not sure on Boil Volume. Suppose to make 5 gallons. Do you mean how much of that is boiled? We usually boil 3 gallons and add two after cooling the wort.
I had a feelig answers would lead to more questions. So much to learn....

Do you have access to munich extract? The 90 minute boil is probably because of the pilsner malt. I probably wouldn't worry about it with extract.

I don't think so. Just checked my shop's website and they don't have it listed. We have been using Briess Light and have a bunch so I was hoping to use that. Won't if I shouldn't though.

If you don't have munich extract available you're going to have a little trouble converting that to an extract with steeping grains recipe. The munich malt is there to provide fermentable sugars and you're not going to be able to get that through steeping, particularly steeping seven pounds of the stuff! You really need to do a partial mash at minimum.

Here is the grain bill:
5 Gallons
O.G. 1.075

7.0 lbs Munich Malt
5.0 oz Crystal 120L

For the 6.5lbs of Pils, you could go with either 4.9lbs of Briess Pilsen Light DME, or 3.9lbs of Pilsen Light DME.

7lbs Munich, well you'll have to mash that or find 5.25lbs of Munich LME.

The Crystal you could obviously just steep.

If it were me, I'd just mash the Munich in a big bag. You really are only steeping at a constant temp (154F works well) for 60mins, then add your extract and bring to a boil. If you don't have a large enough pot to do a full boil, then I think you will have to find that Munich LME to pull this beer off.

If you cannot get the munich extract it wont be anything like the original... If you can I would recommend something like

5 lb munich lme
4lb light dme
5oz crystal 120

The 90 min boil is likely to drive off dms, an issue sometimes with pilsen malt
I would adjust the hops and only do a 60 min boil

I see Northern Brewer has Munich LME. It says it's a 50/50 mix of munich and pale.

John Plamer also has a grain/extract conversion formula in the book dont know about the one online.

Back