anybody use water filtered through brita filters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it removes a couple of things like chlorine. Hard water remains.

I do. It's definitely worth filtering my water. If I don't, it tastes bad and has a light orange or red tint to it. In some places where I've turned on a water fountain (that didn't have an attached filter) I've actually seen sediment collect in the basin near the drain.

I do. It's definitely worth filtering my water. If I don't, it tastes bad and has a light orange or red tint to it. In some places where I've turned on a water fountain (that didn't have an attached filter) I've actually seen sediment collect in the basin near the drain.

I think this is an extreme case....for must of us on city tap water, you might benefit from filtering out some/most of the chlorine. But for well water, you might want to look into something a little bit better than your typical brita filter.

I run all brew water through a camper filter. I ruined 3 or 4 batches before a realized it was the chlorine. Cheap and easy solution.

I had a brew end up with a chlorinated taste once, and while I eventually figured out how I screwed that up I became a little paranoid about chlorine. So for awhile I used a brita pitcher, but man did that take forever. I suppose for only a couple gallons it wasn't so bad, but to get about ten gallons of water out took hours!

I've since hooked up a cartridge filter to a hose line so I can fill my pot in only a few minutes. But in a pinch the brita works if you are worried about chlorine. But then again you can also use campden tablets or allow the pot of water to sit out overnight as most of it will dissapate? Evaporate? Well, it'll go away.

Are you the OP? No? Oh...I didn't think so. Thanks for playing.

You quoted my post. Most people would interpret this as a reply to what was quoted. Furthermore, your attitude is unwanted and unwarranted. If you expect to receive assistance from members on the forums, you would do best not to insult them, and curb the attitude.

I have been told that Brita (and similar charcoal-based) filters do not remove Chloramine, which is what most municipal water supplies use these days rather than Chlorine (which is caustic to pipes in a way that Chloramine isn't). Chloramine *is* removed by campden tablets, which is why I now simply crush a campden tablet into my mash water before heating it up, and call it good.

I do it. My water isn't terrible out of the tap, but it just tastes better when I run it through the filter. My thinking is that if the water tastes better, the beer will taste better, too.

I'm not certain whether it removes the chloramine, but I do taste less of the chlorine flavor when I drink it. Having said that, I also use a campden tab when I brew with it, just to be sure.

I do it. My water isn't terrible out of the tap, but it just tastes better when I run it through the filter. My thinking is that if the water tastes better, the beer will taste better, too.

I'm not certain whether it removes the chloramine, but I do taste less of the chlorine flavor when I drink it. Having said that, I also use a campden tab when I brew with it, just to be sure.

I use this RV filter from Walmart, apparently its good for 1000s of batches.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Filter-with-Hose/14504321

I also add back a teaspoon each of calcium chloride and gypsum.

Back