Anybody? Monument Brewing Haven Series Waterways DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cskid

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has tasted the Waterways DIPA? It's from the "Haven Series" of beers brewed by Monument Brewing in Baltimore, MD. While I was visiting Baltimore a couple of weeks ago a friend gifted me a six pack of Waterways knowing I home-brewed and thought I would enjoy it. I did...I really enjoyed it. Would like to brew a batch since it's not available in Florida but, for the first time have found nothing about it on the Hombrewtalk website. I've found info on every search in the past and thought this was a great beer others would have tried but, there is a first time for everything. I called the brewery and one of the brewers was great to talk with and told me the following about the recipe:

-Used Simcoe/Columbus/Centennial hops
-Most hops used towards the end of the boil or flame out
-60-70 ibu's then he said "double it" after flameout at whirlpool??...not sure what that means? Take all the hops I've used in the boil and reintroduce the total hop bill again after flame out? If this is what he meant is a DIPA 120-140 IBU?
-he said they dry hop at 4lbs per 31 gallons at the end of primary. So I'll need to calc that for a 5 gallon batch
-grain bill is two-row, pilsen malt and C40

Those are the notes I quickly typed when speaking with the brewer on the phone. Any ideas from you experts on how you might approach designing this beer in beer smith? I've always followed a recipe but, never designed a beer. Is a DIPA basically doubling the hop bill at flame out? Would that get close to doubling the IBU's (understanding there is also a dry hop period ) or did I miss understand?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Back