Anybody Follow MotoGP Racing? *Spoilers*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max384

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few of you who ride motorcycles, so I'd guess at least a few watch MotoGP racing.

Anyhow, how about round 1 Qatar! This is the best season opener since, well, last year... and it blew it out of the water!

It was great to see Rossi starting the season off on fire!

I used to like watching the cafe racers ( super bike now) back when Kenny Roberts was riding for Yamaha. I liked the knee-draggers with full fairings.

Love it. Been going to Indy to see that race for years. Good to see Rossi on top again, and glad to see Dovi and the Ducs competitive this year. I think they will get more podiums and lose their perks fast (like the super soft tires). They already lost the extra fuel allotment.

I'm a Lorenzo fan, and pretty much have been since that first race I saw at Indy. I got his autograph and met him the year after. He went on to win the championship that year...

Kudos to Marquez for as far as he has come, but I watch to see battles like Qatar and Catalunya of years gone by, not to see one after another victory by Marquez (or anyone for that matter)

Marquez in fifth, 30points down, who would have thought it! I don't think he'll stay there.
Good race and more to come.

I like Marquez, but I hope that was a wakeup call. He was getting dangerous by fighting too hard for a spot he had no chance of keeping with his tires as they were. I'm just glad he only took himself out, not Rossi as well.

But I definitely agree that he won't stay there!

It's strange seeing Dovi so close behind in second in points standings, and Iannone in third. Hell, I guess I should say it's strange to see Ducati doing good!

Dovi has always had the talent, just not the bike to match it.

I am glad to see a new kid on the podium. Sad Lorenzo could not keep up the fight on that extra hard rear tire.

Rossi definitely is showing his stuff.

MM needs to sit down and take notes - he's been in more incidents than any two riders I have known combined. Eventually that is going to end badly - perhaps even for him.

I'd love to see Stoner back and on that GP15. He wasn't my favorite but he could dominate on a bike that no one else could ride (old Duc)...

Anyone going to MotoGP Indy? I have my tickets on order already, if you come I am camping nearby - PM me for where, stop in and have a homebrew or 3 :D

Another MotoGP fan here!
Yup, it's great to see the Doctor having a revival, Dovi running the Duc so well and of course, the raw talent of MM.
I'll make Indy someday but not this year. I am still considering a drive down the coast to Laguna Seca for the MotoAmerica/WSBK weekend. We were there for the last MotoGP race and were really disappointed when Dorna dropped the circuit.

At least AMA Road Racing appears to be in more competent hands...

Cheers,
d

Time to revive this thread. So we have an interesting season shaping up - Rossi on top, with Lorenzo, Dovisioso and Marquez all in the running. Heck even Ianonne is having a great year. Ducati finally got the bike sorted enough for multiple riders to be competitive on it. I was beginning to think the only way a Duc would win would be to put Stoner on it again.

So predictions for the top five at the end of the season; here's my guess:

Rossi
Lorenzo
Marquez
Dovisioso
Crutchlow

I put Marquez third because he seems to be having some early season issues, not unlike those that plagued Lorenzo last year. Lorenzo put up a helluva fight to pull himself back up at the end of the season.

Rossi is on top and loving it. He will not give that up without a huge fight.

Lorenzo is in fantastic shape, and I have always said on his good days few can hang with him - even Rossi. Before Marquez came along Lorenzo was one of the few riders that could give Rossi a run for his money.

Dovisioso is having a great year, and the Duc is strong. I think we will see a few more 3rd place and maybe even a 2nd place from him this season.

Crutchlow has a strong bike, but binning it in the last race certainly hurt him in the points. I don't see him making that mistake again.

I'm loving the competitiveness of the series this year. All the brands now have reasonably competitive machines and almost everyone is in good health. I'm amazed that Marky Marq hasn't had ALL the incredible luck that he has displayed in previous years, but there is no doubt that he can ride closer to the edge than anyone else.

I've only missed the first Indy MotoGP and I'll be there again this year. Always a great time in Indy for that whole weekend.

This year has been incredible so far! It's great to see Rossi on top. I'd love to see him win another championship.

I wish Honda would permanently replace Pedrosa. I understand he's currently injured... But there's always something keeping Pedrosa from being on top. He'll never win motoGP championship...

I've only missed the first Indy MotoGP and I'll be there again this year. Always a great time in Indy for that whole weekend.

I've only missed one year myself, and I was recovering from surgery. I'll be there the whole weekend too. Always a great time, even the year the storms blew thru!

This race didn't record, and I then searched for it on DirecTV and nothing came up. Did they quit covering MotoGP racing?

As much as I hate the video pass (this is the first year I haven't bought it in several years)... This makes me miss it...

Fox Sports 1. It was an interesting race from 2nd to 5th places. 1st place was a run away. The season is shaping up to be quite different from the past years.

Only on their website that I know of. You have to pay a yearly subscription fee for it but it's worth it.

I've had the MotoGP video pass, and have been VERY unhappy with it every year I've bought it. This year was the first year that I was finally fed up enough not to buy it. It rarely worked on mobile devices, it's expensive for what it is, and you have to pony up more money for the mobile app, even after subscription, there aren't many devices it works with (doesn't work on xbox, my smart TV, or my smart blu-ray player), and connection to the tv via HDMI was always choppy, while everything else was fine through HDMI. There is also a several hour lag time between when the live race airs and when it is uploaded to their site. So, if you catch it live, you can watch. If you're late, you can't just start from the beginning. For a paid subscription, this is simply unacceptable. Their technical support is some of the worst I've dealt with too.

Bottom line, I won't be giving Dorna anymore of my money for their video pass.

What happened to Rossi this last race? Why did he finish 10th? I'd REALLY love to see him take another title, but it's not looking great for him.

The latest race in Mugello he claimed 3rd place and he is still points leader for the time being.

http://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Statistics/2015/ITA/MotoGP/World+Standing

Whoops! Thanks. When I looked at the results on motogp.com, I think I had one of the free practice session results up. That's good to see that he was on the podium. With Jorge back in his groove, it's going to be awful tough for Vale to pull off another championship... But wouldn't that be something!

Has anyone else watched the Dutch TT? If so what is your opinion of the racing incident on the last corner of the race?

Marc picked the wrong place to jam. It sent Vale through the trap and on to victory, legally. He needed to jam in a single corner, not a chicane...like he did to Jorge a few years ago for the win.

Has anyone else watched the Dutch TT? If so what is your opinion of the racing incident on the last corner of the race?

If a rider is forced off the track than it is permissible to take a shortcut. I tried to find the MotoGP regulations, but came up short, but this is the general gist of how I remember it.

A rider should not have to be forced to choose between crashing or being punished for taking a shortcut when responding to contact from another rider. Definitely legal in my book. And race direction ruled it a racing incident.

Look back to Laguna Seca 2013. Marquez cut the corner on the corkscrew when battling with Rossi. There was no contact, but it was still considered legal by race direction. Contact forced Rossi to cut the corner. This is not even debatable IMHO.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-FD76BwB08[/ame]

Reminds me of the time Marquez made an aggressive move at Jerez in 2013 and made hard contact with Lorenzo in the last corner which pushed Lorenzo wide, and because of that MM took second and Lorenzo third.

That collision setup MM for a drive out of the corner, while Lorenzo was forced wide and had to sit up. I guess Marky Mark doesn't like the fact he collided with someone and as a result they took the position from *him*.

Race direction called that a racing incident too, although I would have loved to seen MM take that corner at the speed and angle he was at had he not pinballed off Lorenzo.

MM's comments on Jerez 2013:

“At first, I said to myself that I would finish third. I thought he would close the corner off a little bit more than he did, but I noticed that he had opened the door so I tried to pass him. When I saw in those last metres that I might touch him, I released the brakes a bit to make sure the touch was going to be a bit softer. The most important thing is that we both finished and I just hope that our relationship will get a bit better after a few days.

“If somebody did that to me…for sure, I would be angry - not because of the moment but because I would have lost a place on the podium. I can understand that but, anyway, I have said sorry.”

Anyone going to MotoGP Indy? I have my tickets on order already, if you come I am camping nearby - PM me for where, stop in and have a homebrew or 3 :D

Hello? Less than a week...no one going? I'll be there all three days, rain or shine (tradition is a biotch; we were there when TS Ike rolled thru and stopped the race that first year)

I wish I could, but I don't have the time off unfortunately...

I was on a trip to the west coast on my bike two years ago during Laguna Seca. I was going to ride down and see the race, but instead I ended up going to the BMW international rally in Oregon. The rally was an absolute blast... But I still kinda wish I would've gone to the Laguna Seca race, particularly since it's now off the calendar.

Rumors have been swirling that Indy will be dropped after this year. I'd say one race in the US is really skimping on American fans of the sport. As much as I love that Indy is semi-close, it isn't an interesting track IMO - for the fans or the riders.

IMS has been inching up prices and dropping the old package deals - forcing fans to buy a reserved seat just to turn around and fork over $40 for a track lap.

I used to pay $70+fees for the "AMA package", which netted me a free track lap, free souvenir, a discount coupon off any IMS purchase, and three day general admission. No AMA package this year, no free track lap. At least we still have free backstretch parking (unless they stick us in the grassy infield like that one year!)

Unless I am sitting in the Pagoda, I see zero reason why someone would buy a reserved seat. The stands are never full.

If they are only going to have two races in the US it should be Laguna and Austin.

I know this thread is pretty dead... But what does everyone think about the Rossi Marquez incident? I've watched and rewatched it, and I just don't find the evidence convincing that he kicked Marquez. Video evidence matches Rossi's description of events. I'm not saying either of them were practicing the cleanest of racing... But I don't think it was any less of a racing incident than either of them have gotten away with many times before. With only seven points ahead of Lorenzo and starting at the back of the grid, this essentially ends any discussion of Rossi taking home a tenth championship.

I think it is poor sportsmanship on both accounts. I do think MM was trying to get back at Rossi for a couple of incidents earlier in the season, and then when Rossi accused MM of trying to help Lorenzo I think that was the last straw. I think in that last race he was toying with Rossi, but I do not think Rossi kicked him.

This is MotoGP, not Moto3. There shouldn't be as much contact between bikes and riders. there is simply too much risk to be carrying on that way.

Back