Anybody built a hop plug press?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertbronze

Reaction score
I built a little hop plug press from some plastic pipe. Used a steel rod as a ram to compress the hops. Only one problem - the plugs are very difficult to remove from the pipe once they are compressed.

Just wondering if anyone else has built a plug press? Any difficulty removing the plugs?

I've done similar things in industry and they are often done continuously. Product (hops) going in one end pushes the compressed, pelletized product out the other end similar to a sausage stuffer or meat grinder. If pushing a rod into a piece of pipe I would first try a removeable end on the pipe. Have the end in place while making the plug, then remove the plug and use your ram to force the plug out.

I do have a removable end on the press. I'm thinking I will need a hydraulic jack or something similar to force the plug out - they will not come out using the same steel rod that I used to compress the hops.

I assume you used a hydraulic ram to press the hops. Release the pressure on the cylinder, remove the bottom of your mold/tube and then resume ramming to force the plug out. If the cylinder doesn't have enough stroke length, retract the cylinder and insert a wood or plastic plug slightly smaller diameter than your tube, and extend the cylinder to push out your plug.

If you have a way of cutting your tube lengthwise into two halves you can apply strong bands around the outside to hold the two halves together while you press. Then release the bands to split the mold and remove your plug.

I assume you used a hydraulic ram to press the hops.
Actually I used a long cold rolled steel bar - about 1 1/2" diameter and 6' long.

If you have a way of cutting your tube lengthwise into two halves you can apply strong bands around the outside to hold the two halves together while you press. Then release the bands to split the mold and remove your plug.

That could work - thanks for the idea!

Another alternative, get a connector that fits over the outside of the pipe. Press the plug, remove the end-piece and slide into the connector. Press and the plug should pop out.

Back