Anybody brew a Biere de Garde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglehoo

Reaction score
I was hoping for input on this recipe (partial mash):

6 1/2 lbs pilsen LME
2 lbs Belgian 2-row
1 lb Munich
8 oz Carapils
8 oz flaked oats
8 oz Belgian aromatic
6 oz crystal 60
4 oz caravienne

Grains mashed at 153 deg for 90 min
5 gal batch, 6 gal boil
90 min boil for carmelization

1 oz Hallertau (3.8%) at 60 min
1 oz Styrian Goldings (4.6%) at 20 min

WLP072 (French ale yeast, 2L starter)

Target OG 1.074
Beer Calculus gives me a FG of 1.020, but I'm betting it comes in in the 1.014-1.016 range.
Target abv ~7.5-8%

Opinions? I haven't seen oats in any of the recipes I've looked at, but that style profile mentions silkiness in the mouthfeel, and to me that means oats. I was initially going to add a pound of turbinado sugar, but nixed it in favor more LME. I also have an oz each of Tet and Cascade lying around.
Thanks!
:tank:

Looks fine, from 2000 foot level, These styles of beer are all about the conditions of the secondary, not about the recipe. I love lambics and Flanders sours, the recipe really doesn't have a big difference in the out come of the beer. As an example: I brewed a flanders red, with jamiles, recipe and something called " far from jamies" which was very different recipe. After a year, I could not tell the difference between the two. So I mixed them together and by 2 years, they were the classic tastes.

Back