Anybody been to Austria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
We're going in October and will be staying in Vienna, Salzburg, and Innsbruck. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some activities. Since it will be Autumn in the Alps, we'd like to be outside a lot. We love hiking, classical music, and if its cold enough we'd like to snowboard. At this point we will be taking the rails to each town. Thanks for any info...:mug:

I'm jealous. If you do go to Salzburg, a quick trip across the border into Berchtesgaden, Germany might be worth it. It's a beautiful town (where Hitler had his vacation home, "The Eagle's Nest", which is worth a visit). There's some great hiking all around the Konigsee, or you can take a boat trip across it:

P1000743.JPG

Beautiful country, to the north is Lake Konstance that has a lot of very nice little towns and areas to visit. The wife an I spent an entire day just driving and walking town to town around to lake.

Also Bavaria is within driving distance, where located in the side of the Alps is Neuschwanstein Castle that was home to King Ludwig II. ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!! Well worth the trip in my opinion...

Also Bavaria is within driving distance, where located in the side of the Alps is Neuschwanstein Castle that was home to King Ludwig II. ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!! Well worth the trip in my opinion...

Thanks. We'll be staying in Munich as well, but I'm trying to figure out our activities while in Austria. I've had my Munich plans set for years now!

I've been to all three places. Spent a semester in Vienna while in college. In Vienna, be sure to take in a few Heuringen for local wine and traditional Viennese food. In Salzburg, I can recommend the Augustiner brewery. Best beer I had while in Europe. The museum at schloss ambrass in Innsbruck has some very odd things on display, well worth seeing.

In Salzburg, the Augustiner Beer garden is awesome. Beer from wooden barrels and locals hanging around eating and talking. We had a blast there!

We also stayed in Mutters, overlooking Innsbruck. The room we had was on a farm underneath a ski lift. It was overlooking the Olympic ski jump from ?1972?.

Every small town restaurant has a local beer... Mutters has a great beer, "Adam", from which we had to bring glasses home for my brewing brother Adam.

Thanks for posting... took me back to a beautiful place in my memory!

Eric

I'd have to agree with every place mentioned so far...I like walking the grounds of the castle in Salzburg...you can also tour Mozart's house there.

Since you're staying in Munich also you can do a 1/2 day trip to Kloster Andechs (south) as well as Dachau (about 10 miles NW of Munich)...and don't forget the Hofbrauhaus...:rockin:

Latest posts

Back