Any way to ease hoppy flavor in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seamus18

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm kind of new to this. Done a few batches, extract to start. I did my first partial about 10 days ago. It was a Blue Moon clone that I learned from this sight. Anyway, it's been in primary for about 10 days and fermentation has been done for a number of days but I am going to leave for 3 weeks. When I taste the beer, it seems to have a very bitter taste still, which should not be for this type of beer, which I'm told. I only added 1 type of hops at full 60' boil - hallertau 4.8% - 1.5 oz. I was told the flavor would pretty much disappear, but it seems all i am tasting. At least that's what I think I am tasting. Will this go away or is there something i can add that will reduce this taste? Or is it too late.

Sorry for the long post, just hoping there something I can do.

Thanks

Carbonation will help mask the bitterness and some will fade with the extra priming sugar for bottling. It may just taste like a young beer. All flavors will meld over time. 10 days is still really green.

Best advice is not to worry about it until there's something to worry about.

My hydro samples for Wayne1's blue moon clone from here do not taste hoppy-bitter to me at 10 days. But yes hops will meld/fade over time for all the reasons stated above.

Did you do Full/ partial boil? Late extract addition, or what?
I ask bc 1.5 oz @ 60 min for 4.8AA is 30 ibu (full boil of 6.5 gallons), and the recipe calls for 17ibu. I have made it 5 times but all AG.

Yes, I used Wayne1's Blue Moon clone but had it converted to a partial by my homebrew supply store. I did a 3 gallon boil, steeped my grains and oats for 30', then did 60' boil with LME adding hops at the beginning. I didn't know at the time that Halletau had different %'s, and I was following Wayne1's first recipe, before he edited. It didn't mention a %, so that is what I was given. Now I think is is going to be too much, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid that if I bottle and it still tastes close to this after conditioning, I won't want to drink and it will have been a waste. Again, I'm not getting much in terms of taste because of the bitterness. To make it easy, I will list the ingredients I used:

3.3# Briess Wheat LME
3.3# Briess Light LME
1# Wheat Malt
3/4# Pilsner Malt
3/4# Oats
1.5 oz Hallertau 4.8
1.25 tsp Corriander
.5 tsp Sweet Orange peel
White Labs WLP001 Liquid Yeast

Thanks again.

I would bottle it & try it after 3 weeks and see. I bet it will be fine. Input your recipe into beersmith, hopville or any online calculator; and see what ibu's you have (if you are curious). It will prob not be too far off from the recipe's 17 ibu target.
Unless you want to make another batch with much less hops, and blend them!

In the future, make sure you know the recipe IBU target, so you use the right amt of hops. %AA vary too much to just chuck in x amt.

good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

I was actually going to ask if I made maybe a 1/2 batch of the same unhopped and combined in bottling bucket after fermentation, could that possibly help. Thought it might be a stupid question though:)

I did put all of the recipe into Brewer's Friend calculator and it give me an IBU of 18.66. Sounds about right, but just doesn't taste that way.

Thanks again.

It's *way* too early to judge bitterness. Some of those bittering compounds will fade/fall out. It's good to check the process as you go, but relax - if all you added was 1 1/2 ounces of Hallertau, it'll be fine. Young beer is completely different from finished beer.

Ok, Thanks. I will wait. Just didn't want to pour $50.00 down the drain if there was a chance the finished product would taste this way.

But I guess I'll listen to a guy with almost 19K posts. :)

I appreciate the help. Still learning.

Never dump beer before it is too soon-- check revvy's thread on patience.

the 18 ibus you calc'd is right on. cheers!

Ignore the post count; 99% of those posts are bitching about the Patriots!

But I've made enough batches to know that it'll mellow out, considerably... ;)

Back