Any thoughts on this English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kesslerr1

Reaction score
I'm putting together a batch with ingredients I have left over form previous batches. To work with I have 15 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs caramucich, 1 lbs of crystal 60, 2 oz of northern brewer, 1oz kent golding, 1oz galaxy (not using those). I also have 8oz of oak chips and pack of london ale yeast 1318. I want the northern brewer to come trough in flavor and don't the beer to get any higher than 50 IBUs.

Any thoughts on the hops schedule will the northern brew swamp out the kent golding? I also what the malty flavor to come through a little more so I might mash it at a higher temp. Any thoughts on this strain of yeast? Lastly what do yall think about making oak chip tea vs putting oak chips in the secondary?

:mug:

12 lbs two row
1 lbs caramunich
0.5 lbs crystal 60
0.5oz Northern Brewer 60 min (10% AA)
0.25oz Kent Golding 60 min (7.2% AA)
0.33 Northern Brewer 20 min
0.25 Kent Golding 20 min
0.33 Northern Brewer 15 min
0.25 Kent Golding 15 min
0.33 Northern Brewer 5 min
0.25 Kent Golding 5 min
0.5 Northern Brewer 1 min

Single step mash at 155
London Ale Yeast 1318
2oz of oak chips in secondary.

Grain bill looks good to me. And the 155F mash should work too.

As for hops--I don't think you're going to get too much hop flavor or aroma from just 3 oz of hops. I know you have some leftovers, but I'd consider either buying more hops (Fuggle or Golding would be classic, but there are many English hops) or using a different hop that you have on hand to supplement those 3 oz. For example, you could use the Galaxy as a bittering hop (you can use only half an ounce at 60 mins if you're worried about going over a certain IBU level). Then you can push all theo ther additions until late, along the lines of what you have already. More than 3 oz would be better, though.

As for the oak, definitely let it soak in over the course of weeks in the fermenter. Unless you mean a "tea" that is made over the course of, say, six weeks? But I can't imagine that extracting in (e.g.) one liter of water for six weeks would give you the same profile as doing it in the secondary.

I have not used 1318, so I have no insight there!

Thanks for the tips and I agree I might go buy another oz or two of hops. As for the oak chips I have heard of people having success with making a "tea" via boiling the chips for 20 or so minutes and then adding the water (tea) to the secondary. I have also just put the chips it in the secondary, but I wonder how making the tea works

Huh, learn something every day. I have never heard of that oak tea method. I would be a bit wary of boiling something that adds aromatics (not the only thing that oak does, of course), but I can't say I have tried it that way myself. So I guess I'll have to leave that to more knowledgeable people.

Back