Any reptile fans out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still a work in progress but, I have been building on this for my new Paludarium.

I started with a chicken wire frame;

IMG_14822.JPG

Filled it with foam (took several days and 9 cans of great stuff), the trimmed it some

IMG_14901.JPG

and today I began base coating with a polymer grout

IMG_14965.JPG

close up of root structure. Not as amazing as I imagined but the best I could do.

IMG_14981.JPG

the white line at left will be a weep line from the filter system to fill the wading pool below.

And the backdrop from;

IMG_14932.JPG

to

IMG_14953.JPG

Just some bits of styrofoam for roosts and some blobs of spray foam for some additional interest. The entire backdrop, except the roosts and blobs will get a covering of live forrest moss. And once in place I will have a spray bar that will drip water down the wall to keep the moss alive.

I was thinking about making something similar to you backdrop for my iguana. How difficult was it to make and about how long did it take you?

I was thinking about making something similar to you backdrop for my iguana. How difficult was it to make and about how long did it take you?

I started with a pre-fab background from Exo-Terra and simple cut in the outcroppings and surface applied the blobs.

Wouldn't be hard at all to start from a blank peice of foam tho'. Use a single blank sheet for the backing and cut blocks out of another sheet. Apply those to teh face and carve to your liking.

That's very cool. Is that stuff safe if ingested?

_

No less safe than the styrofoam. Once the finish is complete I plan to seal the whole thing with a Silicone emulsion to lock it all in.

The only real harm is the alkalininty of the grout if left without a water seal. Most people just soak their sculpture to leach it to a safe level. Quikrete make a Silicone emulsion water proofer. It's literally Alcohol and Silicone. Once cured all that is left is the silicone.

When I was on vacation in Mexico years ago (with a previous girlfriend. She never reached SWMBO status) the geckos would be in the room between the ceiling and wall. When I got close enough to check it out its eyes got all big like "crap, it saw me!" I found the little buggers so endearing that I told SWMBO that if one is in the room on the honeymoon I have a strict no-harm-to-geckos policy, and will pick him up with a piece of cardboard and take him out of the room. Someone else in the resort told us they told management, and management came with a rolled up newspaper. Seriously not cool, Mexico.

When I was on vacation in Mexico years ago (with a previous girlfriend. She never reached SWMBO status) the geckos would be in the room between the ceiling and wall. When I got close enough to check it out its eyes got all big like "crap, it saw me!" I found the little buggers so endearing that I told SWMBO that if one is in the room on the honeymoon I have a strict no-harm-to-geckos policy, and will pick him up with a piece of cardboard and take him out of the room. Someone else in the resort told us they told management, and management came with a rolled up newspaper. Seriously not cool, Mexico.

In Malaysia, Golden Gecko's are like cockroaches.

Scrubbed the tree project. Damned thing just wasn't right.

Decided to go simpler and make more use of real plants. Bought a ficus and built;

IMG_15003.JPG

IMG_15052.JPG

IMG_15041.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

GilaMinumBeer said:
Scrubbed the tree project. Damned thing just wasn't right.

Decided to go simpler and make more use of real plants. Bought a ficus and built;

Enjoyed the tree project. I look forward to seeing the new direction.

Faux stone finish applied. Looks a LOT better with the finish on than prior to. I never knew Acrylic could eat at Styrofoam tho'.

The finished background is drying in the garage overnight (with a heater). I'll attempt an install tomorrow. If all goes well THIS time (damned tree wouldn't co-operate) I'll begin plumbing and furnishing the tank.

Okay, took a new direction. Rock wall background was not conducive to the spray bar water fall so;

Slowly, I have arrived here;

IMG_15091.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

The "rocks" have been applied directly to the glass. You can see the tape that is holding them in place while the silicone cures.

IMG_15101.JPG

This will be a few small wading pools with freshwater dripping into them to keep them from going stagnant.

Poor guys are living in the slums til the crib is complete.

IMG_1512.JPG

Wife is none too happy about the state of her dinning table either;

IMG_1511.JPG

New box is complete!

MG_4335-5-5.jpg

Full View

MG_4347-15-15.jpg

MG_4344-12-12.jpg

Left half

MG_4345-13-13.jpg

Right half

MG_4350-18-18.jpg

Night-time view (simulated moonlight)

And the stars of the show;

IMG_4310-1-1.jpg

Buddy (Green Anole, Male)

MG_4332-3-3.jpg

Ted (taken from Dr Suess) Fire belly toad.

MG_4342-10-10.jpg

Buddy again

MG_4338-7-7.jpg

we call this one breakfst, lunch, and dinner. It has 3999 just like it.

MG_4340-8-8.jpg

Fred

Did anyone see the Animal Phobias show on Animal Planet with the guy who was terrified of lizards?

If so are water monitors typically that docile? That thing was the irish wolf hound of the lizard world. Here this guy is freaking out about touching his tail, and the lizard is just kinda lumbering along, not particularly concerned about anything.

Did anyone see the Animal Phobias show on Animal Planet with the guy who was terrified of lizards?

If so are water monitors typically that docile? That thing was the irish wolf hound of the lizard world. Here this guy is freaking out about touching his tail, and the lizard is just kinda lumbering along, not particularly concerned about anything.

Have seen them all over the place in Malaysia. The ones in town are very docile as they are familiar with Humans. The wild ones are pretty skiddish and can do some real damage if threatened aggressively.

Otherwise, they just want to eat and sleep. Damned things can get HUGE!

The bearded dragon they made him stay in a room with in a tank was exhibiting what appeared to be dog-like behaviors. "Um... hey dude... ya gonna feed me now?"

The bearded dragon they made him stay in a room with in a tank was exhibiting what appeared to be dog-like behaviors. "Um... hey dude... ya gonna feed me now?"

Haven't seen the show and was only commenting on the wild ones I have seen. I expect the domesticated ones would behave very "dog" like similar to an Iguana.

The more you handle or interact with them the less crazy they will act. Neglect them and they will revert.

Thats really interesting. I've heard people say that lizards can be downright affectionate like dogs, but I hadnt seen it in action.

Thats really interesting. I've heard people say that lizards can be downright affectionate like dogs, but I hadnt seen it in action.

More common in the larger species than the smaller. But yes, the more attentive and routine you are the more they dial in to you. All my animals have learned the cues to feeding times and show much anticipation however, I try to avoid being too routine with their feeding times to force them to "hunt".

I liked reptile best in the early games when he still looked like one of the other ninjas.

Now he's just a big anthropomorphic lizard.

That's what we're talking about, right?
bio.gif

Back