Any one add 'hop water' at bottling to offset a crazy fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARDean

Reaction score
I did an experiment: an all extract brew (2.5 gal boil/late extract addition):
7# light lme
3.3# dark lme
3# light dme

1oz Hood @ 50
1oz Amarillo @ 30
1oz Hood @ 20
1oz Amarillo @ 10

IBU's maybe around 80 (not sure about the hop util since it such a small amount of lme)

60min boil with about .5# of the dark lme at start and added the rest of the extract at 5 min left in the boil. OG came out to 1.18 (yes 1.18).

Threw it on a yeast cake in which I did another experimental brew: and Amber with SO5 yeast then Champagne yeast...

The FG reading was at 1.038 (around 18% abv) and it's 'hot' for sure...

I was thinking of doing a 1 gallon 60 min boil with a Cascades (no extract?) schedule and use it as the priming solution to bring the BU/GU back in line (up to 100 IBU) and to dilute it...

Anyone ever try this?

I am not sure what you are asking. Do you want more bitterness to counteract too much malt/sweetness or to counteract the hot flavors from the yeast?

I am not sure what you are asking. Do you want more bitterness to counteract too much malt/sweetness or to counteract the hot flavors from the yeast?

Both - more bitterness to balance out the heat and malt... Is it possible to do?

Ok we are ar on the same page now! Yes it will help to balance out the malt, but the hotness produced from ester alcohols from the yeast really need time to age out. They are produced when the yeast are stressed. Many things cause yeast stress: high fermentation temperatures, un healthy yeast, underpitching, high alcohol levels, etc.

Especially on an 18% beer, it might take years to age the hotness out (see commercial example in Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout). But if you can manage to store them and save them until the hotness is gone, you might have an AMAZING brew on your hands!

Back