Any Mountain Bikers out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
I figure there has to be a ton. Nothing like beating up your lungs and legs and then finishing it off with a nice homebrew. I was an avid mtn biker up until 5 years ago.

I just got back into it and purchased my self a 2010 GF Xcaliber. The thing is sweet. Already did some local riding but am looking forward to my New England and West Virginia trips.

I am and have an ancient Trek Y22 full suspension. My son and I get out a few times a month and hit the local trails. I'd love to get a new ride, but can't afford it now.

yeah they are extreely expensive now. And everytime you test ride a bike with better components, you pyschologically lock yourself into the more expensive model. I started out looking at $700 bikes, then i tested out a $1050 Cobia and loved it! Then i tested out the Xcal and could totally tell the difference between that and the cobia. I stopped there though at $1600. Well worth it. It's a great, low impact sport which is great for me as I have bad knees.

I just finished "restoring" my 1996 ProFlex Attack Le from top to bottom. Not exactly the most advanced by today's standards, but rocked in it's day. The bike has a sentimental value for me and I can't wait to get back on the trails with it.

I rides a Karate Monkey.

Me too. Freaking love my bike. Single speed, rigid, 29er.

Also have a Kona Cinder Cone with a 1x9 drivetrain and a front suspension fork for when I don't wanna get beat up by the monkey.

Great sport, and you're right, it totally goes with homebrew. Lost 28 pounds in the last two years from riding. Completed my first endurance race (68 miles of singletrack) in April, and loving the new trails out here in AZ! :rockin:

I used to way back when I worked at a bike shop. Now I maybe pull go out with the kids once and a while. Or an annual bike ride.....usually....always revolves around beer :mug:

I have this:
4424-mntbike.jpg

Schwinn Factory Homegrown (frame built by Yeti), dual suspension (MAG 21 fork) and XT components.

Goes with my cycling beer pints
3906-glasses-bike.jpg

I used to ride the trails 3 or 4 times a week and commute 5 miles everyday and I will again when i move back to Coastal NC. It's way too hot for that out here in OK.

I hear you on the heat. I live just North of Phoenix, so rides have to either be done by 8 am or don't start until 7 pm.

I mostly ride dirt jumps on a bmx a few times a week. Building dirt jumps/trials is what I do when I'm not riding or brewing.

But I do have a mtb bike and enjoy riding it in the mountains.

Here is a pump track we built in some guys backyard recently.
eastSide.jpg

Nice on the dirt jumps! I love riding my MTB on pump tracks and dirt jumps.

Just got back from my ride this morning and watching the Rays at the Yankees. Congrats Jeter, even though I still hate your team. lol

I took the Monkey out on 7/4, but it was over 100 degrees so I only made it 4 miles just to make sure all was in check as it was the first time I rode her after building her up after our move out West.

Took her for the first real ride today. 13 miles, 1,300 feet of climbing. These photos were taken at the top of a grueling 3 mile, 750 foot climb. In the one photo, you can see the town at the bottom in the far background.

I learned two things here. My 32:20 gearing is spinny as hell on the flats, but hard as hell going up. I also learned that V-brakes have NO place in Arizona. Almost died on the way down. lol Putting a BB7 up front at the very least before I ride it again. This was the first time I simply could not trim off enough speed going down. I was grabbing the brakes so hard I stretched the cables noticeably.

IMG_4684small.jpg

IMG_4682small.jpg

IMG_4683small.jpg

Used to ride a 2000 Trek 8000. Got stolen when my garage was broken into last fall. Just bought a Sette Razzo 29er as a replacement.

I 've got a couple of Cannondale CAAD4 bikes, a Trek road bike and a Raleigh touring bike. For the most part, my wife and I do a lot of cycle-touring and blog the trips on www.CrazyGuyonaBike.com. We have done some off-road riding but prefer touring.

As I see it, any type of cycling followed by a brew is great!

B

Back