any issue putting copper immersion chiller in star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
This is pre sanitizing before using it to chill the wort. Is there I time frame before it becomes detrimental to the copper. I used to just out it in the BK with 15 min left but it alway messed up the boil so I've opted against that This time.

Nope you can put it in StarSan, it will make it look shiny and new. The only consideration I believe is to try not to exceed 30 mins. I think there is the potential for a reaction that is less than ideal but I don't remember the specifics (check the Metallurgy section of "How to Brew"). 5 minutes in StarSan should be more than adequate and definitely no issues with the soak time.

I do that about 30 min prior to putting the chiller in the boiling wort and like pvault98 said it makes it look all shiney and new.

As long as you're boiling your chiller the main thing to worry about is that it's clean since the boil will sanitize. I do like to spray the areas that won't touch the boil with star san though.

Back