Any ideas for repurposing scratched carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have three well used Better Bottle carboys(one 6 gal and two 5 gal) , one of which is visibly scratched near the neck probably from using a carboy brush before I knew better. I haven't noticed any infection problems, but am looking to replace them to be safe.

I would hate to just toss them out. Has anyone figured out new uses for old carboys (homebrew use or other)? I thought about trying to make a ghetto MLT since I currently don't have a proper one, but then remembered the 140 deg F temperature limit.

I'll post here if I come up with something. Thanks

dlutter said:
I have three well used Better Bottle carboys(one 6 gal and two 5 gal) , one of which is visibly scratched near the neck probably from using a carboy brush before I knew better. I haven't noticed any infection problems, but am looking to replace them to be safe. I would hate to just toss them out. Has anyone figured out new uses for old carboys (homebrew use or other)? I thought about trying to make a ghetto MLT since I currently don't have a proper one, but then remembered the 140 deg F temperature limit. I'll post here if I come up with something. Thanks

Sure. Makes a great piggy bank!

I have a five gallon carboy that is pretty much useless for actual brewing purposes imo, but it's the perfect vessel for storing five gallon of Star San mix...

Cheers!

Urinal/septic tank
Dad uses the funnel part in the top of his deer stand as a urinal, hose runs down to another one buried in the ground. He drilled holes in the bottom of it, filled it with pea gravel, and buried it on a bed of gravel.

neo71665 said:
Urinal/septic tank
Dad uses the funnel part in the top of his deer stand as a urinal, hose runs down to another one buried in the ground. He drilled holes in the bottom of it, filled it with pea gravel, and buried it on a bed of gravel.

I'm guessing it only works with pea gravel (other gravel isn't as effective) ;p.

63belair said:
pee gravel?

hehehe

Yea - I'm not the most mature 30 something. I still think this is an amazing idea though. Maybe duck dynasty level.

As an aside, would it work as a megaphone for duck calls, or a drip dryer for coiled hoses (both assuming you cut the top off.

I don't currently buy my malt in bulk, so I might try to come up with an easy dispensing grain bin design as an excuse to make the jump into bulk.

My mill had a converted carboy for a bin attached to it when I bought it.

Back