Any feedback on the Captain Crush Grain Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent 90 minutes trying to crush 22 lbs of grain with my Captain Crush and decided that was enough of trying to make it work.

Did some searching here to see what I should get to replace my CC, and came across this thread. I'm on my second CC and have had nothing but problems from the start. I have to say NB was great about replacing it, but they seemed to be mystified by my feed issues, and acted as though I was the first customer to ever have this problem.

Looks like I'll be ordering a MM2 2.0.

I went through three of them. NB happily replaced each one. Each had different issues, but all were roller related. I really liked the features, but after the third one failed on the first use, I said enough was enough. Picked up a Monster Mill. NB customer service was above and beyond, but I can't recommend the CC.

I've had quite the mixed experience with the CC so far; however, I can safely say that now I am extremely happy with my purchase. My first hopper and second hopper slightly chipped, but I fixed the second with some super glue.

This mill has a learning curve. Like others in this thread, I struggled at first. I labored over 12 lbs of grain for an hour. It would feed and then stop continually. Before completely giving up on it, I did the following:

1) Found this thread and got more frustrated.
2) Completely took my CC apart. After cleaning and drying it thoroughly, I put it back together and completely re-read the instruction page that came with it.

My next crush was my best yet. I realized I was setting the crush setting too small and that was leaving grain to get stuck in between the second and third roller, which caused the second roller to not catch. I am now extremely happy with my CC and even got 78% efficiency on a BIAB brew this morning. Moral of the story is this thing is finicky but take the time to learn it and the CC is a great mill, regardless if, in my experience, the plastic is a bit fragile.

My next crush was my best yet. I realized I was setting the crush setting too small and that was leaving grain to get stuck in between the second and third roller, which caused the second roller to not catch. I am now extremely happy with my CC and even got 78% efficiency on a BIAB brew this morning. Moral of the story is this thing is finicky but take the time to learn it and the CC is a great mill, regardless if, in my experience, the plastic is a bit fragile.

Hi - am currently trouble--shooting my CC. I contacted NB and their customer service resolved to send me 4 new set screws and told me not to over tighten them and take it apart and clean the whole thing.

Please, share the setting you currently are using on your CC that gave you 78% efficiency and a nice, problem free, crush!!!

Got my new screws from NB and installed them. When using my hand to free spin the third roller I noticed that it would catch at the same point in rotation and then free up indicating bad alignment. Once installing the new set screws and making sure all the knobs were symmetric with bilaterally it spun freely. Looking forward to grinding some grain on Thursday AM. I'll report back then

First roller: second to last setting.
Second Roller: third to last setting.

Both the left and right adjustment knobs need to be on the exact same setting. Only one side of each roller locks into position, leaving the other somewhat loose. Sometimes, maybe twice in a crush, the lower roller knob that is loose looses positions. I believe it does so in order to relieve pressure generated by a particularly tight crush -- perhaps the mill would break if it did not so. Fixing the issue is easy: just re-tighten that one knob. Milling ~12lbs takes about 10-15 minutes for me.

Are you defining the "last setting" as the smallest or largest? It would be easier to see a picture... I guess

First roller: second to last setting.
Second Roller: third to last setting.

Both the left and right adjustment knobs need to be on the exact same setting. Only one side of each roller locks into position, leaving the other somewhat loose. Sometimes, maybe twice in a crush, the lower roller knob that is loose looses positions. I believe it does so in order to relieve pressure generated by a particularly tight crush -- perhaps the mill would break if it did not so. Fixing the issue is easy: just re-tighten that one knob. Milling ~12lbs takes about 10-15 minutes for me.

10-15 minutes? :confused:

Is that including measuring grain and setting up the mill, or just the actual grinding time?

Last setting as the largest.

Depending on how much grain and different varieties, I could imagine measuring and grinding on taking ~15 minutes. I was referring to just grinding before.

In terms of "setting up the mill", all you have to do is place a the mill on top of a bucket. I don't take it apart after each mill. It cleans very easily -- either outside with spray from a hose or a quick rinse in a sink.

I wasn't sure if you meant dragging it out of the closet, hooking up the drill, etc. 15 minutes just seems like a crazy long time to me. Using my MM2.0 (or whatever they're calling it now) takes a couple minutes tops for a full grain bill.

Update: After another 5 batches I had increasingly more frustrating free-spinning issues. The last beer I made took me 45 mins to grind ~30 lbs of grain with repeated dumping/up-ending hand-spinning the rollers and refilling. It was painful.

I called NB, and they promptly issued me an exchange. My MM2 Mill is on the way.

I've been getting better results recently.

What has helped is washing the rollers before each crush. I don't take it the mill apart -- I just run water through the hopper and then spin the rollers with my hand, removing any debris that I can feel. After this and giving a quick spritz of water to the grain, it mills quickly and thoroughly. I've recently been getting over 70% efficiency consistently in 5 gallon, BIAB batches with ~12lbs of grain.

I've also started milling finer. I keep the top roller on the second largest gap setting and the bottom roller on the third smallest gap fitting.

I got a Captain Crush in 2015. It generally worked fine for a while, and then started to go downhill. The free rollers wouldn't spin, and going in reverse often wouldn't help. I'd have to dump all the grain out and move them around with my hands until I worked out all the grain and dust in the rollers. I wrote Northern Brewer about it earlier this year and they noted a couple of things. First, they said the set screws might be stripped. Second, they noted "All three roller mills can jam up a little, part of the trade off for fully adjustable mills that have different rollers to first crack, then separate the husk from endosperm." I don't know what they advertise now, but when I bought it all the marketing was about how three rollers are better than two. If I get a new mill, it'll be two rollers, and probably from Monster Mill.

Regarding the set screws, they were stripped. They were likely that way from the beginning because my knobs never clicked when I wanted to change the settings. I had to loosen the screws and then turn the knobs. I didn't realize they were supposed to click until I started having all the problems this year.

NB sent me new screws, but it didn't solve the problem. I decide to completely take apart all of the mill. It turns out, the powered roller was inset into the housing of the mill, causing resistance. I fixed that and also added some olive oil for lube where the rollers sit in the end plates. After that, it worked great and I had no problems. For about four batches. Now those free rollers are starting to be less free again, but I think it's mainly from build up of dust that I'll have to clean out.

Overall, got it broken, then it broke further, fixed it, now it's slowly becoming a pain again. I'd recommend against this mill.

I traded in for a three roller monster mill. It is night and day. The MM just works every time.

I do miss some of the features of the Captain Crush like the markings on the gap adjustments, but it's no trade for a mill that works whenever I take it out.

I've owned mine since 3/21/2014. i have had nothing but problems with free spinning rollers. I contacted NB was given information on how to adjust it and that i had owned it to long to exchange which I understand. I have taken it apart several times to clean and lube and tried several different adjustment settings, no difference, it has a mind of its own..
The last time I took it apart I removed the bottom roller and set the gap to .039 . Much better results doesn't freewheel as often (25%) and when it does spinning it in reverse and than forward gets it going again. I double crushed 43 lbs last batch in 15 min instead of over an hour also got 90% efficiency. Getting a mm2pro and giving the Crush to my son.

I had problems like you guys are describing with my barley crusher. In the end i determined the issue was that the rollers had worn out and there weren't any sharp tips on the knurls any more. Since the primary roller couldn't grab the grain, the secondary roller couldn't turn either.

Only solution was to buy an MM3Pro. It takes down grain about 5x faster too.

So just a little update on this subject. I returned my CC and received a full refund. Bought a Millars Mill for the store (The Grain Bill located in Red Lion PA). The Millars Mill is far and wide a superior mill. Crushing grains every day for well over a year with no issues what so ever. Highly reccomend the Millars Mill.
Back to the CC topic. A few months back did a group brewday at a friends. My one friend could not get his grains milled at home with his CC (all the same issues seen in this thread) so he brought them along to mill at Gary's. Unfortunately Gary also had a CC and we could not get the grains milled. Again all the same issues in this thread. Ended up completely tearing the mill apart and removed that 3rd roller. After literally hours of frustration and removing the bottom roller we were able to get all the grains milled.
So 3 out of 3 people I knew personally that had a CC returned it to InBev .......um I mean Northern Brewer.
I reccomend no one should ever buy this horrible excuse of a mill. And if you have purchased it and refuse to return it, then save yourself the agrevation and get rid of the bottom roller.
Horrible product!
Cheers
Sj

Last edited:
So just a little update on this subject. I returned my MM and received a full refund.

I assume you mean CC (Captain Crush) and not MM (Monster Mill)?

If that is correct. I replaced my CC with a MM3 and could not be happier. InBev did take mine back (3 times) and allowed me to trade the value in towards a Monster Mill with no hesitation.

They were a damn good store...before the dark times...before the empire...

The March Mill is far and wide a superior mill. Crushing grains every day for well over a year with no issues what so ever. Highly reccomend the March Mill.

What the heck is "The March Mill"? Maybe I've lost my google-fu...

You are correct. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. I went in and edited that post and made it right.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Cheers

Well I ordered a monster Mill MM2-PRO PD. I have 50+ plus pounds to mill next week I will report back. My son was happy to get the Captain Crush....

No comparison the MM2-pro pd double crushed 52# in 10 min. Not one freewheel event. Chewed through grain no matter what speed I used (0-500 rpm drill). Impressed...... Mill set to .039.

20170206_205102.jpg

Back