Any advice for a rookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I am brewing a blue moon and a hefewizen? Fermentation temps and lengths or anything else I should know ? Any advice is appreciated

In general:
  1. Sanitation is huge. Get some StarSan, a 5 gal bucket, and a spray bottle.
  2. Temperature control during fermentation is probably the most important thing to making good brews.
  3. Learn about yeast pitching rates and how to make yeast starters.
  4. Be patient. At minimum, it takes 6-7 weeks to go from grain to glass.

A lot of new brewers are convinced that moving to all-grain brews is the holy grail of making good beer. It isn't.

Before you turn on the heat, get everything you need ready and set out. Organize yourself. Usually things go wrong if you're seat of the pants-ing it.

in general:
  1. sanitation is huge. Get some starsan, a 5 gal bucket, and a spray bottle.
  2. temperature control during fermentation is probably the most important thing to making good brews.
  3. learn about yeast pitching rates and how to make yeast starters.
  4. be patient. At minimum, it takes 6-7 weeks to go from grain to glass.

a lot of new brewers are convinced that moving to all-grain brews is the holy grail of making good beer. It isn't.

+1

A spray bottle with starsan is the most useful tool ever invented for brewing. Even after dunking in the starsan bath I tend to giver everything a good misting with sanitizer right before it touches my wort or beer.

Other than that, relax, don't worry, and have a home-brew (or store-bought if you don't have any home-brew yet). It's very hard to ruin your beer to the point that you don't have decent drinkable brew. Good luck!

Mike

Back