Anther knucklehead with a CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Reaction score
Apparently have a leak somewhere within the dual tap system. Noticed the tank emptied quickly and then got a refill. Thought maybe it was the kegs so I re-sealed them. Same result, two days later- tank empty. I checked all the connections and can not find the dam leak. Is there some sort of test kit or other means of finding this slow leak? It seemed to happen out of the blue.

Sad Brew
Sheldon

Dumping a tank in two days is a bit more than "slow leak".

First thing is to see if there is a gasket between the tank valve and the regulator. It is often missed and is virtually certain to lose gas at a rapid rate - like a tank in two days...

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately, I made sure the gasket was in place and I did the star san bubble test, with no visible leakage.

Perplexed

I set me first kegging system few weeks ago and right from the begining seems to me that im loosing too much co2. I tried soapy water and starsan in the spray bottle and found nothing, only when i use baby bathtube full of water i found two small leaks

I did have another set of gas lines so I just swapped them. Now I need to get a gas refill to see if that was the problem. I have another regulator as well, so that will be the next step. Wish me luck.

Sheldon

On my first there was a leak from the pressure relief valve on the CO2 cylinder itself. Just another thing to check.....

Well after 2 full tanks lost and swapping out gas lines (4 of them) and trying another regulator, my brew buddy Eric came over to help me locate the leak I could not find. After spraying a soapy solution on the regulator and all the parts, he did something I failed to do. He looked at the underside of the regulator body. Lo and behold, the brass body itself was bubbling (leak found). Apparently when etching/writing on the underside the cutting tool must have gone a bit too far. After almost 2 years of pressure, it gave way and caused the leak. Now the kewl part, I called Kegconnection and spoke to Janet who spoke to Todd and they are sending me a new regulator body part. Kudos to those folks for standing behind their products.

Back