Another "When to bottle?" Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
When I started brewing the kit instructions made this seem really simple: I.e. ferment two weeks then bottle. Now I am learning that skilled brewers don't follow that simplistic approach. But I am hearing mixed opinions about how one decides when to bottle. I'm hearing at least three different views:

1) after hydrometer readings have stabilized it is time to bottle.
2) when krausen layer dissipates and beer becomes clear it is time to bottle
3) ferment 3-4 weeks and its ready to bottle

W

Puddlethumper said:
When I started brewing the kit instructions made this seem really simple: I.e. ferment two weeks then bottle. Now I am learning that skilled brewers don't follow that simplistic approach. But I am hearing mixed opinions about how one decides when to bottle. I'm hearing at least three different views:

1) after hydrometer readings have stabilized it is time to bottle.
2) when krausen layer dissipates and beer becomes clear it is time to bottle
3) ferment 3-4 weeks and its ready to bottle

W

Which approach do you use and why?

I am currently on my first brew, however I have been reading that "after hydrometer readings have stabilized it is time to bottle".

Pros can correct me if I am wrong, but thats what I've been reading

I'm not a pro but..
I have been waiting 4 weeks in primary for most beers now and they have been awesome. Bottle condition for 3-4 weeks and fridge for at least 5 days before drinking. (Yes I still cheat one or 2 bottles and wonder why I wasted the bottle later by drinking to early)

Yes, that is one of the methods I've run across. There seems to be a number of people who follow the other procedures instead. I'd sure like to know what drives those differing views.

grem135 said:
I'm not a pro but..
I have been waiting 4 weeks in primary for most beers now and they have been awesome. Bottle condition for 3-4 weeks and fridge for at least 5 days before drinking. (Yes I still cheat one or 2 bottles and wonder why I wasted the bottle later by drinking to early)

So you are strictly time-based in your bottling time decision? May I ask how you decided on that approach?

Read this thread here: Bottling After 10 Days

It has discussion from all 3 sides of the debate including the why and why not arguments. There is no consensus on this, just popular schools of thought who argue about it :D. Chances are you won't know what to believe until you've tried all methods and decided by your own experience... but maybe that thread will help you decide which one you want to try first.

I usually let it go at least 3 weeks. Then it depends on when I have time to bottle. I do this because I hate messing with multiple hydrometer readings. I am told that sitting on the cake helps clean up some of the off flavors in the beer. It makes sense and suits my laziness.

My very first beer I was in a rush the have it ready for St Patricks Day and only fermented 2 weeks. It was one of my best but there are so many variables, there is no way to figure out what went right.

No not really time based. But regular gravity beers are good at 3-4 weeks primary as it gives the yeast plenty of time to clean up after themselves and for the beer to clear up nice. Like you I have read all the different posts and settled on those that seem to have the most experience without being stuck on the old ways. I must say my beers have improved in both taste and clarity with the longer primary. And don't get worried if you can't get your beer bottled in a certain time. It will just age while waiting for you to find time..

More_Hops_Please said:
Read this thread here: Bottling After 10 Days

It has discussion from all 3 sides of the debate including the why and why not arguments. There is no consensus on this, just popular schools of thought who argue about it :D. Chances are you won't know what to believe until you've tried all methods and decided by your own experience... but maybe that thread will help you decide which one you want to try first.

Great link. Thanks! So what would be the point in taking hydrometer readings and risking infection with an open fermenter? Seems the scientific explanations in that post seem to point us at a time-driven bottling decision.

I currently have a batch of Nut Brown Ale that has been fermenting almost three weeks. Virtually no activity in the airlock, krausen layer is gone, but it is still pretty cloudy. I can't see any change in clarity over the past couple of weeks. Wait another week or so then bottle?

Granted I tend to brew beers that fall in the 1.040 - 1.060 range, but I just roll with option 3 (ferment for 3-4 weeks and then bottle). Part of that reasoning includes accepting the idea that this is a bit of a fermentation sweet spot. I think I have read a few places that the beer continues to condition even though the bulk of "fermentation" is done. So, you're readings could be pretty stable after one week, but that doesn't mean that the fermentation is "finished."

If for some reason the fermentation seems unusual, I will check it with a hydrometer to see what's going on. Other than that, it seems like getting into the beer adds a risk for infection or other problems that I just don't think are worth it. Also, the first thing I do when I open the fermentation vessel for packaging is take a hydrometer reading. That tells me if I have any issues going on.

Another reason I use the time-based approach is the easy nature of scheduling. I usually bottle on the weekends, so I pick the weekend three or four weeks out that works better for me.

For one final thought, I can see the "after hydrometer readings have stabilized" approach if you want to package sooner than three or four weeks after brewing, especially if there is a concern for "bottle bombs." For me, however, I'm not in that much of a hurry, so waiting three or four weeks isn't too big of a deal. My schedule resembles resembles grem135's.

Thank you all for your comments. Really appreciate your shared experiences and insight. As happened with Bleme one of my first batches was ready (according to my lhbs) after only about 8 days. I've been uncertain about timing this ever since.

I am seeing a common thread in your thinking and it makes sense to me, too. I think I'll just go with 3 - 4 weeks then bottle for a while and see how it goes.

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment!

The main thing is patience that you read about in well over half the threads here. I think the more complex the beer the more time it needs but I may be wrong. Also there are some beers that are better drank young and some that need extended conditioning... Like 6 months and more! Gotta love brewing!

Back