Another wheeling trip... Rausch creek PA - tons of pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well, I took the JK (redrock one in the pics) on another trip to Rausch Creek ORV Park in Tremont, PA last weekend. I met up with a couple of friends (one with an FJ, one with a TJ on 35s) and we picked up a bunch of stragglers also using the Rausch forums. We ended up with a pretty diverse group including TJ and JK wranglers, XJ Cherokee, the FJ, a 4-Runner, Nissan Frontier, etc. Here are a couple pics from the day - wish I would have gotten more, but most of the day we were concentrated on driving!

Me crawling down into "Lake Christy" and then crossing... with my minimal mods I wouldn't dare to take it across the middle once I reached the bottom:
Down_into_Christy_1_Resize.jpg

Crossing_Christy_Resize.jpg

me_after_lake_christy_resized.jpg

4-Runner on 3.5" Lift and 33s crossing:
4-runner_in_christy_resized.jpg

Stock Rubicon JK Crossing:
Rubicon_Crossing_Christy_resized.jpg

And then climbing out after crossing back over the lake (yep, thats right we forged the water twice!). The climbs on the other side of the lake were just insane and only a couple of our vehicles could make it out that way (including TJ on 35, etc) without breaking stuff or taking all day or getting a winching. This way was much easier...
rubicon_crawling_out_of_christy_resized.jpg

More to come...

TJ crawling out of the Lake area - hill was rated black hill climb (pretty tough) even though you can't see the terrain or boulders that well in the pic:
Connor_crawling_out_of_Christy_-_resized.jpg

Here's the rear vantage of the climb, still not doing it justice:
crawling_out_of_christy_-_resized.JPG

Couple other random pics of this TJ:

connor_on_23_-_resized.jpg

connor_on_the_rocks_2_-_resized.jpg

connor_on_hills.JPG

More to come...

Later in the day on blue trail 23 - the trail was challenging but doable in stock rubicon (just with a lot of damage to skids, etc). We had one stuck on this trail, but it was definitely a fun trail...

4runner_and_fj_on_23_resized.jpg

frontier_on_23_resized.jpg

Trail_23_Resize.jpg

Believe this is group leading down into 23 on onto 23:
group_on_23_resized.jpg

Me_and_FJ_on_23_resized1.JPG

And the mud section - no i'm not stuck, although this is where one of our winchings occurred before my turn. I figured out a good line after watching the other guy get stuck LOL:

Me_on_23_mud_section_-_no_im_not_stuck_-_resized.jpg

More to come...

One more of O-trail group:
group_on_o-trail_-_resized.jpg

FJ tried a hole a little too deep:

FJ_in_deeeep_hole_resized.jpg

And got swamped - he loved every minute of it though, real cool guy and really put a beating on that FJ. Pretty impressive:

fj_draining_resized.jpg

FJ in comp course:
Going_up_FJ_resized.jpg

More to come...

After I had aired up for the day, put back on the sways, etc. the FJ wanted to mess in the comp course some more and convinced me to try this climb and descent rock. A few scratched skids, but I made it without much issue - not bad for no lockers, only 1" lift, and only 32" tires (at 35psi none the less), LOL. The JK in the background was sweet and invited us to "The Cove"? in VA somewhere... anyone hear of it?

Climb:
Me_-_Going_Up_1_resized.jpg

On Top:
Me_on_top_of_the_rock_2_resize1.jpg

Descent:
Me_-_Going_Down_v2_resized.jpg

All in all a great day. Only needed to do 3 savings and none were serious. We had a little carnage, but nothing major - TJ cracked both rear flares, 4-Runner lost two exhaust pipes, FJ had some rocks in the hubs after that mud hole, and the XJ bent a trackbar or something... but it was all worth it, I think even they would attest!

looks like fun, i wanna try and take my xj there sometime, that is if i ever get that little issue of deathwobble fixed.

looks like fun, i wanna try and take my xj there sometime, that is if i ever get that little issue of deathwobble fixed.

Whenever you want to go man - let me know. It's about 30 miles from where I live now and about 45 miles from where I will live after October 9th (bought new house). I'm always up for it, especially with fellow brewers.

I know the guy in the FJ was trying to plan another trip for November if you can get the wobble fixed by then.

You could always tow the rig in like many guys do up there... ;)

Isn't it annoying how the trails never look as impressive in the pictures.

Isn't it annoying how the trails never look as impressive in the pictures.

LOL - isnt that the truth... I mean on a green - blue - black - red scale these were mainly green-blue and blue-black, so nothing too crazy, but still there were some really hairy spots that you would never have guessed from pictures.

Also - I think the reason that happens is that the real crazy spots people are always concentrating on driving or spotting you through so you don't get pics anyway. Haha...

Back