Another "What Do Ya Think" Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Haus

Reaction score
So I'm happy with the grains/hops but I'm not sure on the proportions, additions etc. This is only my second hack at an original recipe. Any input would be welcome. How's the honey, carapils, crystal, ratio? Any one more or less than the other? I'd like it to have some body at 154 degrees, too malty? Anything appreciated. Thanks...

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Amount Item % or IBU
14.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter 69.14 %
3.00 lb Munich I (Weyermann) 14.81 %
1.25 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) 6.17 %
1.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 6.17 %
0.75 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) 3.70 %

0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (60 min) 9.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (20 min) 8.8 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (20 min) 11.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (5 min) 2.9 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (5 min) 1.9 IBU

2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20.25 lb
60 min Mash In 154.0 F

I like the combination.
I would cut the munich and honey malt in half, you are using 100% MO. I would also up the bittering hops by doubling, maybe go first wort hop.

You asked for it! :p

You're using Maris Otter for your base malt, so there really isn't any need to add malts like Munich and Honey, which are intended to add to and emphasize malt flavor and character. By the same token, you're mashing relatively high (154), so there's no real need to add Carapils, which is intended to enhance body.* I'd leave the Caramel 40 for color and a touch of caramel sweetness to balance the hops.

In case you can't tell, I adhere to the KISS rule, even in designing grists. ;) There's a point to that - starting from a very basic grist permits much greater leeway if something's not quite right. It's easier to tell if something's missing from a recipe than it is to identify the particular flavor out of the riot that you don't like.

Here's an example: If you start with 100% Maris Otter, and decide it's too light in color and needs some caramel sweetness to balance the hops, you add some 40L crystal to the next iteration. Now invert it. Say you brew the beer with the grist you've got now, but there's too much body, too much malt character. You have two options: Increase the hops (too easy) or try to identify which parameter to change. Since there are four specialty grains (and a mash temperature!) that can impact the undesired characteristics, where do you start? Which do you choose?

You dig?

You're making a very good start! :rockin: If this is recipe #2, you're on your way. The only thing I'm trying to get across is 'Avoid needless complication'.

Cheers!

Bob

* Carapils also enhances head retention, but if you're lacking head retention in an all-grain beer, there's something askew in your process, not something left out of your grist bill.

I agree, that's the basis of the SMaSH movement. If you can't brew a decent beer with just a base malt, all the adjucts and specialties in the world won't help. I'd er on the side of boring vs. cloying and obnoxious any day. If it were me, I'd ditch the Carapils no question. After that, either back off to 1lb on the Munich or cut the 40L/Honey in half. There's no harm in mixing up the malts for complexity but go lightly. Actually, 1lb Munich and 1/2lb each of 40L and Honey might be nice. Just increase your MO to keep up with the target OG.

I like the hop schedule (assuming you'll dry hop as well).

As was said, drop those additional grains some...maybe a max of about 1-pound each...the Cara to 1/2 a pound and increase the MO accordingly. This would actually get you very close to a Kona Pale Ale grain bill.

If you want additional malt tones, shorten your mash time to 35 minutes.

Thanks for all the input. It definitely makes the learning curve easier. I've revised the recipe based on your comments and included the dry hop. I left the temp at 154. Anything else, let me know. Thanks again.

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item % or IBU
18.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (2.5 SRM) 90.00 %
1.00 lb Munich I (Weyermann) (9.0 SRM) 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) 2.50 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 2.50 %

0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (60 min) 9.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (20 min) 8.8 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (20 min) 11.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (5 min) 2.9 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (5 min) 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
60 min 154.0 F

Back