Another Wedding Reception Inquiry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmtonkin

Reaction score
Hey all,

I really want to serve some homebrew at my wedding reception, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the logistics of it for Minnesota.

My understanding is that when SF2336 was signed, it allows homebrewers to serve their beer as long as it is not for profit.

"Sec. 10. Minnesota Statutes 2012, section 340A.301, subdivision 9, is amended to read:
7.17 Subd. 9. Unlicensed manufacture. (a) Nothing in this chapter requires a license for
7.18 the natural fermentation of fruit juices or brewing of beer in the home for family use.
7.19 (b) Naturally fermented fruit juices or beer made under this subdivision may be
7.20 removed from the premises where made for use at organized affairs, exhibitions, or
7.21 competitions, including, but not limited to, homemaker's contests, tastings, or judging."

Am I interpreting that correctly? At this point, I'd assume that if it is alright with the caterer and the venue, that I'd be fine?

Yeah, you should be fine. I highly doubt ATF will be crashing the wedding.

I wouldn't risk it. The list of things where it's okay to bring homebrew are competitions, judgings, etc. There's a rule of interpretation called "ejusdem generis," which means that things in a list are presumed to be of the same kind. I'd read the statute as saying that you can bring it to an "organized affair" that is like an exhibition, competition, etc., and that you can't bring it to just any old "organized affair."

Ask the venue and caterer first, and if they okay it, call a real Minnesota lawyer who works with beverage laws.

Back