Another "Water report" what do you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Just got my water report back...(work water as home is waaaayyy to hard)

Ppm
Ph: 6.25
Nitrate : 180

Total hardness (as CaCO3) 133
Calcium: 43.7
Magnesium: 2.83
Chloride: 16.10
Sulphate: 51.93
Alkalinity (as CaCO3) 94

I've noticed they didn't provide sodium report

I've input the details into beer smith but can't make head nor tail of how to adjust to target profiles...
I usually brew Belgian's , ipa's and stouts if that helps
Cheers for any advice [emoji482][emoji482]

Last edited:
It's not too bad. You'll need to attend to the alkalinity, but the other ions are at acceptable levels. You can backcalculate the sodium content by assuming that all the other values are true and inserting them into the Water Report Input page of Bru'n Water. Keep bumping up the assumed sodium content until the water report balances.

PS: You'll need to convert that alkalinity value to an equivalent bicarbonate concentration.

It's not too bad. You'll need to attend to the alkalinity, but the other ions are at acceptable levels. You can backcalculate the sodium content by assuming that all the other values are true and inserting them into the Water Report Input page of Bru'n Water. Keep bumping up the assumed sodium content until the water report balances.

PS: You'll need to convert that alkalinity value to an equivalent bicarbonate concentration.

Cheers...
I suppos the easiest way to deal with the alkalinity would be to use lactic acid?

Cheers...
I suppos the easiest way to deal with the alkalinity would be to use lactic acid?

Sodium content will be somewhere in the region of 23ppm.
If you care to add half a gram of calcium chloride per litre to your water it will make a stout the envy of many without any need to reduce alkalinity.
IPA is a different kettle of fish.

The alkalinity in that water should be easily neutralized with lactic acid without adverse taste effects.

As mentioned above, you can avoid acid addition if you mineralize the water with plenty of calcium or magnesium salts. That's good for the mash, but that technique doesn't work for the sparging water. Acid is needed there.

Sodium content will be somewhere in the region of 23ppm.
If you care to add half a gram of calcium chloride per litre to your water it will make a stout the envy of many without any need to reduce alkalinity.
IPA is a different kettle of fish.

I do like a good stout [emoji41][emoji41] chers

The alkalinity in that water should be easily neutralized with lactic acid without adverse taste effects.

As mentioned above, you can avoid acid addition if you mineralize the water with plenty of calcium or magnesium salts. That's good for the mash, but that technique doesn't work for the sparging water. Acid is needed there.

I could use some acid malt in the mash, just a small amount and then use lactic in the sparge...
As per your earlier suggestion I have converted the alkalinity to bicarbonate [emoji847]
Cheers for the suggestions lads

Back