Another "underage" question thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RcNick

Reaction score
Hello homebrewers,

I like to do things properly, and I'm aware of rule #14 here on the forums. I've been trying to figure out if it's legal for me to brew for a few weeks as I'm 19, but I've just decided to give in and ask you fellows.

So...

Title 23 USC part 158 establishes that states must set their minimum sale/public possession age to 21 or take a highway funding cut.

I live in Washington, and RCW Title 66 covers alcohol and such (age restrictions in 66.44.270), but 66.12.010 reads as follows:

"Nothing in this title, other than RCW 66.28.140, applies to wine or beer manufactured in any home for private consumption, and not for sale."

66.28.140 discusses taking said wine or beer out of the home, which I don't plan on doing at any time.

In summary...
-Feds want states to set minimum public possession age to 21
-Washington does so in Title 66
-Washington provides an exemption to Title 66 for homebrew
-As long as I keep it in my home, and it is actually homebrew, it's not illegal

Is there something I'm missing here, or am I allowed to keep my account? If it's actually illegal, for future reference, what law deems it so?

Sorry to bring up the subject again, and thanks all for the feedback!

Our forum requires members to be 21 in the US.

In some situations, as in Wisconsin, a minor is allowed to drink at bars with parental permission if they are present. We still don't allow them to participate in our forum, however.

You must be of legal drinking age to participate in our forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back