Another Stuck Fermentation Scenario - Please Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoitte

Reaction score
I brewed several beers last Friday and was in a hurry, so didn't fully separate/decant my 2-step yeast starter. (First was 2L 200g DME, decanted & added 3.5L w/ 350g DME)

I'm fairly convinced that even with vigorous swishing, the bottom of the starter contained most of the yeast.

The wort that received the last of the starter went from It's OG to FG (1.040 - 1.005) in less than three days.

The beer that is stuck had an OG of 1.047, is currently at 1.025 after 5+ days. And has only moved .001 in the last 24 hours.

All beers are SMaSH 2-row pale ales, Mashed @ 152F 60 min, fermented with WLP001 between 68-71'F. Glass carboys used, and I did my usual two minute swishing around to aerate once cooled, prior to pitching.

What to do?

If I pitch more yeast - Should I...

Pitch directly into the existing carboy?

Transfer/rack beer onto yeast in a secondary to remove any residual yeast to avoid autolysis?

Raise the temp up a tad?

Let it sit for another week in hopes it kicks a little more and I'm left with something on the sweeter side but still enjoyable?

This is the first experience in years I've had a stuck fermentation so I'm not sure what variables to look at for the decision making process. But typically after 5 days I generally always have a beer near its expected FG.

Last edited:
It'd be many weeks if not months before "autolysis" becomes an issue (if ever) so don't worry about pitching on top of what's there.
You could bump the temp up a degree as well, then track its SG and see what happens.

fwiw, it's a ***** to get all the hard-stuck thick yeast off the bottom of a well-crashed e-flask. You just have to keep swishing until you can see up through the bottom...

Cheers!

It'd be many weeks if not months before "autolysis" becomes an issue (if ever) so don't worry about pitching on top of what's there.
You could bump the temp up a degree as well, then track its SG and see what happens.

fwiw, it's a ***** to get all the hard-stuck thick yeast off the bottom of a well-crashed e-flask. You just have to keep swishing until you can see up through the bottom...

Cheers!

Thanks,

So you're saying to add more yeast in addition to a slightly higher temp?

Exactly.
Again, no need to somehow separate the original pitch from the balky brew, just add more.
And there's no harm in bumping the temperature up a degree, it can't hurt and might actually help a bit...

Cheers!

If the two carboys in question are the same beer, keg up the one that finished and rack the stalled one onto the other yeast cake.

An update:

It in fact was a yeast issue, or simply a lack of sufficient yeast.

I went to my LHBS, pitched a pack of US-05 and in the last 24 hours its fermented 10 gravity points and it is still going.

Thanks all for the help!

Latest posts

Back