ANOTHER STC-100 Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br3wme

Reaction score
OK, so I, like 1,000,000 other people have recently purchased an STC-1000....and after reading everything I'm honestly wishing I wouldn't have but I'm this far through so I've got to finish it out. So if anyone can weigh in, please....I'd love some advice. Every thread I've read is conflicting...hopefully this might clear things up for me...maybe others if it hasn't already.

1.) STC-1000 has a stated 10 AMP max, but from what I've read internal relays state 15amp....are the rest of the solders, electronics, ect. sufficient to run 15 amp peaks? Or is that pretty much unknown? Or assumed to be OK for the momentary peaks of most compressors of ferm chambers?

2.) If I put a 10 Amp in-line fuse between main power and controller to be safe is that ACTUALLY protecting STC-1000 from overheating and starting a fire or is it just protecting the wire between the fuse and the STC controller?

3.) If all of the above is true can I use 16 gauge 13 amp wiring to wire everything since the fuse would burn out before it hit the STC (since a fire hazard wouldn't be an issue because fuse would burn before wiring heat up enough to cause a fire?)

I love DIY projects but the 10000+ page threads and issues form these STC's I would have rather paid $80 for a temp controller from NB after going through all this but I'm $40 in the hole and a few chopped up wires from Lowes to quit.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

The stc's I'm familiar with (the A400_P version) have relays rated at 10A@220V and 15A@110V. No, a 10A fuse won't protect the stc from an overheating situation. The transformer is rated at 1.35VA, so at 110V you'd need a fuse in the order of 15mA (1.35/110 + plus some wiggle room which is about 0.015A or 15mA). Note that this fuse should ONLY be in series with the stc power, not the entire power draw (heater and fridge).
Wire gauges are something I know zilch about.

Back