Another should I toss it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobrap

Reaction score
Second batch using the Anvil fermentors and both were ugly. This is the latest Dry Irish:
1ZfmYIh.jpg

Any ideas what it is? Might have to go back to my Fermonsters. Never had this problem before. Always try and keep things as clean and sanitary as I can. Really frustrating! Thanks.

And it may not be the fermenter that is the problem....Anything from the boil kettle on forward to the fermenter is suspect, from the ball valve (if it's not getting up to temp) to the hoses you're using.
Not sure I understand the bit about the the valve not getting up to temp. I brewed in the anvil Foundry and just open the valve straight into the fermenter, no hoses.

Not sure I understand the bit about the the valve not getting up to temp. I brewed in the anvil Foundry and just open the valve straight into the fermenter, no hoses.

That was after you chilled it, right? The point I'm making is that even with the boil, is the valve, as you've configured it, getting up to pasteurization temps?

I do recirculation and preboil my strike water; I recirculate that boiling water through the counterflow chiller and both ball valves that control my ports in the boil kettle. That's how I sanitize them. But if you don't get them up to pasteurization temp....

I'd let it develop and taste it. It's probably just brett or lacto. Save some yeast for later while you are at it :p

How does it taste?
What is the gravity?

It does NOT look fuzzy and appears to be a pellicle formation. You have a sour brewing. May not be a good sour, depending on many things I don't really understand. It does appear something wild is in there. If it's not mold, it's not dangerous.

Last edited:
Well...poor cleaning practices, plain and simple. What’s your cleaning and sanitizing regiment like?

Back